PDA

View Full Version : 27# leadcore to 25# mono,whats the best knots

joefrisque
07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I recentlly bought a new Okuma convector 45 for fishing leadcore and tried tying the willis knot but it is a real pain to insert the mono into the dacron covering after I had cut out the lead 4 inches. Hate to see what would happen if I was bouncing around in rough water. Will a double uni knot work just as well as I am familiar with tying this knot? Or should I try an Albright knot, do you still have to strip out the lead before tying these knots? Your advice would be appreciated.

DooFighter
07-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Use the Willis but use 20# mono, that's one way to get around that problem. It's easy but it is still hard in a boat. I only remember one time I needed to anyway and it was because of a tangle, not a breakoff.

jerkbait
07-02-2010, 12:23 AM
I like the albright knot I take 30lb copper and make the big loop then go through the big loop with 20lb mono and then wrap the mono 10 times around the braid loop then back through the loop the same way you entered it. This knot works for me I havnt lost any gear yet with it yet. I use it to tie my walleye leaders. Ive also used it on leadcore as well. I take out about 10 inches of lead to be safe. and then trim the dacron tag. good luck and hope this helps.

Jerkbait

joefrisque
07-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks Doofighter and Jerkbait for the reply, sounds like I'm trying to stuff to big of diameter mono into the dacron/leadcore. Being that I already have 25# mono spooled up Im going to strip back around 10 inches of lead and try the Albrigth knot. Good luck and put some silver in the cooler!!!