PDA

View Full Version : Where's The Water ?

JIM T
07-02-2010, 07:54 AM
After seeing high water all last summer it now seems that the corp of idiots have decided to keep their water upstream. This past week's water was getting on the skinny side. It's a good thing I had the extra hull protection put on when I bought the boat.Definitely hard to keep a calm,civil attitude with the canoes taking the river with no common sense,no courtesy and no brains.So--- where's all the water?

SportJet120
07-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Definitely skinny water in Tidioute. Last weekend we ingested a rock trying to avoid running over people on the river. Locked up the motor and did not get back to the launch till after 11:00 PM. Pretty much expect the same this weekend probably worse. Good luck. Have a fun and safe holiday, Gary

ppalko
07-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I'd guess that the tribs south are still putting in enough flow to allow the corps to release less. Give it a few more days of no rain and I suspect that the flow will increase a bit from the dam to maintain the lower allegheny flow. Looks like a warm week coming.

outfortrout
07-04-2010, 12:30 AM
The flow is supposed to remain at 1190 for the 4th, 5th, and 6th.
http://wmw.lrp.usace.army.mil/current/forecast.html

I was going to head up early Saturday morning to fish the tailwaters for trout but decided to sleep in instead. :-) I decided to clean my Jeep inside and out. That rarely happens.

I want to come up and fish at night sometime. From what everyone says that's the best chance to catch a big Brown and that's what I'm after.

Red Childress
07-04-2010, 06:10 AM
After doing a half day trout/half day musky trip yesterday, you made a wise choice in cleaning your jeep. Canoe traffic was/is extreme and coupled with the low clear water of the upper section of river made fishing very tough. The 230,000 freshly stocked 4-7 inch rainbow/brown trout has the water boiling on the surface not to mention the thousands of 2-3 inch "young of the year" bass, walleye, pike and musky I saw swimming around.

Getting noticed is very tough to say the least. Night fishing will be the ticket until we get a higher outflow up here in the upper section. I am so happy I took today off cuz the canoes will be everywhere. Jet boat pressure is very minimal and if you have an outboard jet, be very careful. We got stuck yesterday trying to drift through the shallows trying not to disturb the wading fisherman. I was in the water at 5:50am pushing a boat full of clients 20 yards over the rock bar at the first island. Not fun for sure.

Happy 4th everyone!

SportJet120
07-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Couldn't believe the amount of people on the river this past weekend. Has to be the most I have seen in the last 25 years. I jumped on the bike and checked out the launches on Sun. Tionesta had 38 vehicles parked. Fish commission told me the most he had seen in a while. West Hickory had 67 vehicles, it was crazy. Tidioute had 47. Very few people on the river on Mon. evening. Water level is very low. Anyone do any good fishing the past few days? Hope this heat lets up!