PDA

View Full Version : Weekend update

BlueRanger
07-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Friday, the wind was ferocious. I completely drained my batteries by the end of the day and saw no muskies, fishing bucktails over shallow sand bars with weeds, mostly in 2 foot waves. Caught a few northerns, but that was it.

Saturday was more of the same in terms of wind and waves, but there were some fish around. I missed two small muskies on an orange and black bucktail, but did land a surprise 24" walleye and a few northerns on the same bucktail, and had a number of hits that felt like bass. After the second missed musky, I checked the lure and realized that the heat-shrink on the treble had worn through and the hooks were riding at a 90 degree angle to the shaft. No wonder it wasn't hooking up very well.

Sunday night while everybody was apparently off watching the fireworks, I took advantage of the calm water and landed a chunky 39" on a Jackpot. I fished a few more hours today and didn't see anything. All the action this weekend was in 4 feet or shallower.

Water level is now up a full 2 feet since Memorial Day - the stick at Springstead Landing read -1.3 feet when I pulled out this afternoon. A lot of docks were underwater. One of the neighbors said that the dam had been completely closed for part of last week due to downstream flooding. Surface temperature was 74 degrees, and clarity has dropped significantly - even when the sun peeked out today, I couldn't see the bottom in more than about 3 feet.

Flambeau dreamer
07-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I too was muskie fishing this weekend on the tff.
Pretty much the same report. Worked orange and black bucktails mostly.
Sunday morning I released a small 33" muskie.
Monday morning greeted us with simular conditions. Working the same areas(weeds and less than four feet of water),I witnessed the "water Rise up" behind the bait, and disappeare just as quickly. I never saw the fish, even though I was only in three feet of water. Clouds and that red tint made it tough to see anything.
Working an area of submerged bogs, I had a nice fish take a swipe at a walk- the- dog style bait over seven feet of water. That was it for me.
Find the perch and bluegills in those weeds.... that's where they are right now.
Chris