PDA

View Full Version : Any information......

vonyek
07-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Hello all, first post for me but a big fan of the message board that you guys have here. I'm an avid fisherman from Jersey whom spends a week vacation in Warren for the past 7 summers. I try to get out 3 times a day in quest of Smallies, Trout or Walleye or anything that will bite. I was curious of the bait and tackle situation in town and was wondering if live bait, especially (minnows,helgramites,crawlers), were still available locally? I have spent some time at the Kinzue dam(Hemlock side), hit a few spots along the river, gone out on the boat trolling and gone fishing down in town by the dam. I love every minute of the time my family and I spend in this great area but would appreciate any tips on where I may find the most productive time fishing. I understand that this is absolutely crazything to ask however I know if anyone came to the shore and asked me that I would send them in the right direction without hesitation. Sorry to take up so much time and appreciate any help. PS. I plan on bringing the kayak with me again to try my luck on a wonderful float down the Allegheny. Thanks alot. vonyek.

toothyfishman
07-20-2010, 05:09 AM
What species are you planning on chasing? That would help.

vonyek
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Toothy, thanks for the reply. I absolutely love fishing for Smallies. Having said that I know that the area has many species amongst it's waters. I have had decent luck with rainbows below our camp but that was only one year. When up on the resevoir trolling I have only come across Hybrids and the occasional walleye but would love to seek out larger game fish like Muskie or Northern. Thanks again.

Red Childress
07-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Try finding slower, deeper water with visible or submerged structure if looking for muskies or pike. The first 4 miles below the dam will be best for trout and the water South of Warren will be your best bet for summer smallies/walleye.

vonyek
07-20-2010, 08:58 PM
I greatly appreciate these words PAMusky. I will be fishing the river with my kayak a few times that week and I would like to keep it as simple and organized as possible. If I could carry 3 lures/baits with me, what would you recommend? I have thrown variations of soft plastics (tubes,worms and lizards) all day long on that trip down to the bridge and I've had minimal action. I have considered tossing live bait like Helgramites and shinners but I'd rather catch with artificial, ya know? Thanks again.

toothyfishman
07-21-2010, 05:19 AM
If you do decide to chase muskies be sure to have proper release tools along with you, I know you won't be carring a net with you on the kayak but be sure to have some bolt cutters in case you hook one deep.
The warm water you don't have much time before the fish are in trouble.

Good luck, my best bass waters have always been below Warren as well like Red mentioned. I never have chased walleye or trout there. Normally bass this time of year I fish the faster deeper water at least 3-4 foot and deeper and do the best.

muskyjerk
07-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Spent the last week on middle allegheny fishing from kayak. Trolling tuff for smaller bass bait with floating weed flow (musky lures better withstand a weed or two). 3baits that worked for smallies on Saturday were floating Rapala, 1/4 oz jig and 3" curlytail (purple), and strike king mini king spinnerbait in shad w/ a motor oil curly tail.

If fishing for muskies/ pike I recommend a boca style lip gripper, lindy release gloves w/ "superfabric" and long pliers (11"+). These three items are used for every fish. Jaw spreaders and bolt cutters are also important but not needed with every release. Good Luck.

vonyek
07-21-2010, 06:16 PM
MuskyJerk, I like your tri-fecta on the smallmouth lures, light tackle on them bronzeback's is top notch! Thanks alot for your willingness to share your information. How was the water level on the river last week? If the Alleghenies are as deprived of rain like here in NJ, it's most likely gettin a bit low. Regarding targeting the muskies I think I may just take a back seat to that until I am a little more prepared. I am always equipt with pliars, lipping tools, ect. but I am not here to put any fish in harm by any means, strictly catch and release on just about all the fishing that I do. One more thing if yall don't mind, is the tackle shop still open and have they destroyed the dam downtown yet. Last I heard they was talk on the shop closing and the same with the dam. Thanks.

muskyjerk
07-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm a catch and release musky fisherman. Release tools are for your saftey as well.
I'm not as internet savvy as others but here is a good link to monitor river levels http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=pbz
Sorry not a link. My search for this was "advanced hydrologic prediction service pittsburgh". Can't answer bait or dam question.
If interested I could take you out kayak musky fishing south of where you will be. Monday is the earliest I will be available to do this. PM me.