PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for fishing trip......

McDunnoftheAllegheny
07-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm planning on taking off the second week in august for a fishing trip I want to go somewhere within 8 hours of here, any suggestions?

steelerhead95
07-21-2010, 09:36 PM
KAWARTHA LAKES!! i've caught plenty of musky there. it's about 8 hours or so from pittsburgh. lots of lakes, all are good musky lakes. specifically check out pigeon and buckhorn lakes.

toothyfishman
07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
When we went on family fishing trips every year it would take 1/2 the trip to put something together unless you went to the same place each year.
Dad always said if we would of spent the same amount of time and effort on our home waters for a week, everyday, what would of we caught?

It made sense but is no where near as fun as exploring new waters.

A guide for a day is always something to think about too.
I'd head north myself.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
07-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I've looked at the finger lakes in new york they stock tiger musky there, and I was looking at st. clair and some in southern michigan, I'll take all the suggestions I can get lol

Ivan
07-22-2010, 03:38 PM
How do you want to fish? cast, troll or some of both?

Do you want to fish big great lake type water or smaller lakes?

Do you want to catch numbers or big fish?

Do you care about how the fish look? coloration and girth?

Joe M
07-22-2010, 03:59 PM
I also would go to Lake St. Claire or the kawarthas.

w pa muskie bound
07-22-2010, 08:57 PM
if i had another week of i'd go back to jack lake,thats our yearly trip.had to go first week in june the last couple of years because of work and scheduleing of vacations.first week of thier season weed growth not very good.alot of the lakes up there water level is low,jack lake was 2 ft. low,another lake 5 min. away was 3 to 4 ft. low. not enough snow fall for melting and low spring rain.kawathas is a good choice if you got a passport card.

ThreeRiversEsox
07-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Maybe go on a camping trip over to Ohio or something then? Seems like a good number of fish are being caught out that way now, and there's alot of info on message boards if you search for it. I'd start with W.B. if you have a boat.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
07-22-2010, 10:34 PM
thanks for all the suggestions, well where ever we go were gonna camp lookin for lakes that aren't huge but good sized probably mostly casting I don't really care what the fish look like, but I would like to go somewhere there's good sized musky I'm always monster hunting.... Ohio sounds good, If we had the time I would just head to LOTW or somewhere like that.

Ivan
07-23-2010, 06:21 AM
If you want to fish lakes that aren't huge and want to cast, then as you probably know St Clair is out.

I would, like others, recommend the Kawarthas. Tons of decent size lakes that all have lots of muskies in them. Pigeon, Upper and Lower Buckhorn, Chemong, Stoney, Sturgeon, Cameron, Balsam, and many more. They are all connected with or withoout locks but I would suggest trailering if you want to fish different ones.

I am not sure about camping, but I'm sure there would be campgrounds to be found in that area.

I would say, without a doubt, that is the best place to go for what I understand you are looking for.

Rich W
07-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm going to throw another idea in the mix.
I would also suggest the Kawartha's but if you want to stay in the states you may want to think about Indiana. You have 7 or 8 small lakes in the northeast portion of the state that are some of the most densely populated muskie lakes anywhere. There are a few nice campgrounds in the area.
But if your going to go to Ohio, think about Leesville. I haven't personally camped there but if I were to pick a lake to camp at, Leesville would be the lake I would chose. Both Salt Fork and Peidmont lakes are just a short drive from Leesville if you wanted to try a different lake. Both Leesville and Peidmont are 10 hp restricted lakes while Salt Fork is unlimited.
Rich W

McDunnoftheAllegheny
08-01-2010, 05:50 PM
bummer..... no fishing trip, apparently fishing trips don't take precedent over put off honeymoons.

SportJet120
08-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Take her fishing for a honeymoon ! Tell her how beautiful it is up north especially in the fall. Good Luck !

McDunnoftheAllegheny
08-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I should of included that it's my buddies wife, I have yet to fall prey to one yet it's hard to meet women when you never leave your boat........

toothyfishman
08-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Okay I gotta do it???
Why you taking your buddies wife on a honeymoon get away???

OR did you mean you lost your partner for the trip????? LOL:)

McDunnoftheAllegheny
08-02-2010, 08:15 AM
I lost my partner for the trip....still got two weeks to fish, bummer......:)