PDA

View Full Version : Schuylkill River

muskyjerk
07-24-2010, 12:51 PM
First week of August I am headed to my brother's house in Philly to help paint.
I am bringing my kayak to fish for muskies and the Schuylkill River above Reading seems to be my best bet. My guess is there are navigation pools like the lower Allegheny. Any info would help. Lakes are another option (Ontelaunee, Blue marsh). Away from the city a must.

FrenchCrickJunkie
07-24-2010, 04:20 PM
I lived in Philly for about three years while I was going to school. Never fished for muskies in the river but I can tell you what I know about it. Right in the city I used to fish and catch some small mouth if I couldn't get out in time to beat traffic heading out of the city in the evenings. Never really caught much.

The best fishing I ever came across in that river was near linfield PA. It took me about an hour to drive there and the river was fairly accessible there. Like I said not much of a muskie fisherman so I just fished for smallmouth there and always had pretty good luck. I also caught a lot of catfish there. The river for the most part near linfield was wadeable. There were other sections south of linfield that I fished from the banks that were deeper and I'd see a lot of bass boats ect fishing in these deeper areas.

I only went north of reading one time and it seemed like if you spent some time up there you could have figured out a good pattern for whatever species you wanted to target. I just never made it up that far due to time constraints in my schedule while living in Philly secondary to school. Anyways the Schuykill is a nice place to get away from the city. Where I fished I saw one canoe come down the river the whole three years. It was nice to get away there.

Arizonangler
07-28-2010, 06:17 PM
There are a few pools above Reading, but if you are serious about wanting to fish for muskie, you need to hit my home lake, Marsh Creek. MI50 has done a superior job at stocking pures in this lake, and all the bass fishermen are complaining because all they are catching is muskie. I have seven this year, the largest is 42". I was lucky enough to be the netman for a friend that caught a 47" beauty back in April. This lake is in Chester County in the town of Eagle. If you need directions let me know. You can find the lake on the DCNR website for state parks.