PDA

View Full Version : Carbontex is your friend

NETim
07-27-2010, 07:51 AM
As the drags slip (ahem) in my Abu fleet, I've been replacing them with Smoothie's "Carbontex" drag washers. Best single upgrade I've ever done to the old Abu's.

Yeah, those whiz-bang ABEC 99 bearings are super cool, but really, when you're tossing 4 oz, is distance really ever an issue? (Don't bother looking for ABEC 99's. 5's and 7' are generally the only grades available to the general public and are fine. It's only when your game reaches my level that you need the 99's.) (ahem) :)

Although, when I think about it, the ceramic pawls available out there for the Abu's are pretty cool too. In an exotic sort of way anyway. Not really needed, but when your boat is littered with enough electronics to get to Andromeda and back, somehow ceramic reel parts seem entirely appropriate. :)

Anything to keep the mighty Abu's rolling along.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

dpear
07-27-2010, 04:59 PM
I know someone in drag when I see them but what are 'drag washers'?
Nice site,thanks.

GO BIG RED-IN THE BIG 10
:)

NETim
07-27-2010, 08:33 PM
I know someone in drag when I see them but what are 'drag washers'?
Nice site,thanks.

GO BIG RED-IN THE BIG 10
:)

Now what makes me think you're not referring to reel parts? NNMGAT has a support group for that sort of thing I'm told. :)

I don't know that a really smooth drag is absolutely essential in this biz, but I don't think it hurts either. Sure as heck don't want one that bucks and kicks like my old Zebco 202 did. :)

Frankly, I think this Carbontex stuff is some kind of voodoo. Maybe even a spinoff from Area 51 technology. :)