PDA

View Full Version : Week At TFF

smallmouth99
07-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Got back from a week on the lake. I was disapointed with the quantity of fish. The quality of the smalies are unbelievable. 14" fish that go 3 lbs.
For the week I was only able to muster 12 smallies, 4-eyes, 2-pike and a muskey. We mainly fished the northern part of the lake venturing into Merkle most of the time. What I found was the the smallies were staging in 20 feet of water suspended right at the 15' thermo-cline. The fish I did catch all came out of 5' or less water. They would swim into the shallows grab a craw and head back out to deep water. Tues night we pulled the boats ane headed over to Pine. After a few hours of fighting the wind, we then went to Long. No fish at either lake. 20 mph NW winds did not help. Thurs we went to Trude and had our best luck. I was able to land 6 smallies and a pike in the morning. In the eve we went back were I was able to land 1-smallie. Another boat that went with us was able to land a 18" 5 1/2 pound and another 15". I did catch a 16 1/2" smallie that went 3 lbs. Typical of what I am use to at Lake Erie. All fish came on watermelon seed tubes with a 3/16 tube jig. (I make my own).
Lots of loons, my favorite animal. Love there calls.
Ran into the game warden and had a 30 min chat. What a wonderful guy. My partner left his license at the cabin and since I was able to produce mine he let us off with a verble friendly warning.
I am going to try and get the gang together for another trip next year only the first or second week in June.
Thanks to all for the help. Had a great relaxing week, cold beer good food and wonderful acccomidations.