PDA

View Full Version : Fairport/Manistique Salmon

rambler
07-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Hey Guys,
Any reports on the Salmon whereabouts recently. I am planning 5 days with my brother in early August staying at the Garden Motel and fishing Fairport or Manistique mostly. Appreciate any info.
I was looking at the map and Wisconsin's Washington Island looks promising and not too long a run from Fairport. What can people tell me about that area? Anyone fish it much?

schmev
07-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Salmon fishing has been pretty tough the last couple of weeks. We fished there last weekend and had to work very hard for a few fish. Listen to the radio chatter on channel 78 out of Fairport and they guys are usually pretty helpful. Hopefully you will have some calm weather before you get there since the fish seem to have scattered with the rough water. We marked a ton of fish just as the sun goes down but could not get them to bite on things that had been very successful in the past. There seemed to be no consistent depth or area where people were catching the few fish they did. We seemed to do a little better in about 120 foot of water just east of the gap between Summer and Poverty Islands. Guys seem to be the most successful on variations of Moonshine Flounder Pounder Magnum size spoons.

As far as Washington Island goes... On a map, it doesn't appear far. However, it all depends on the weather. If you are using anything smaller than a 22 footer and the winds pick up - it is brutal. If you want to fish that area, I recommend you go and launch at Cedar River instead if you don't have a big boat.

Best of luck!!