PDA

View Full Version : Abu Repair Guy Needed

Red Childress
08-03-2010, 05:31 PM
This topic has probably been discussed here but I am too lazy to look it up.

I am looking for a reel repair guy who can work on Abu stuff. (I might have a guy on Chautauqua but not sure if he is still in business....going to call him tonite and check.)

Please reply here with suggestions or just PM me. Thanks in advance!

ToddM
08-03-2010, 07:54 PM
You will have to send them out but this guy is good!
http://www.davesreelservice.com/

w pa muskie bound
08-03-2010, 09:02 PM
my dad sent his there this spring,quick return i thought. abu was probally 20 yrs. old and it worked like it was new for him this year on our yearly canada trip.cleaned it, replaced a few worn out parts,new handle,dad thought it would have cost more to fix!!!!they did a great job. i sent1 few years back to them also quick return.

Red Childress
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I also dug up another guy named Billl @ Water Wizard located in Hamburg NY.

Going to call Dave and Bill now to see who has the faster turnaround.

Editor
08-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Red

Check out Mat he does all my reels never had an issue and all came back in great working order

http://www.matsreelrepair.com/

Thanks

Red Childress
08-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Went with Bill @ Water Wizard Tackle located in Hamburg.....reels are fixed and on the way back in 6 working days. Just letting ya'll know........

lowbidder
08-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Did the price seem fair?

Red Childress
08-24-2010, 06:10 PM
As weird as this may sound, I am really not sure. It has been quite a while since I had to pay for a reel to be repaired. It "sounded" like there was a decent amount of work that needed to be done....60.00 to fix both.....He repacked backing with 30lb. Dacron (supposedly to be the best material to use for backing and that was news to me....something to do with using a material that has a little "give" unlike electical tape/mono. He said that after a short while, the mono packs too hard and by using the Dacron, the spool will not slip but will ease the abuse on the enternal parts.), retrack the pawl, new anti-reverse and grease essential areas that were absolutely bare straight from the factory.

Sounds alright to me, I suppose. :)

Red Childress
09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Bill also told me that the "guts" of the Toro Series reels are identical to the Quantum Tournament PT series reels.

SportJet120
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
really, that's interesting.
Bill also told me that the "guts" of the Toro Series reels are identical to the Quantum Tournament PT series reels.

Red Childress
09-01-2010, 12:43 PM
He also told me that when retrieving these large musky baits, it is a great idea to point the rod tip in the general direction of the bait (not perpendicular to the bait) to prevent the worm gear/pawl from "re-tracking" itself under stress leading to the line piling up on one side of the spool (which happened to both reels). I tend to do this when fishing in the river current because by the time the bait gets back to the boat (after a long cast upstream), I need to have my retrieve end right in front of me and not lagging downstream in the way of my clients.