PDA

View Full Version : musky report

Flambeau dreamer
08-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm up til aug 28th, and intend on reporting often....
Yesterday was hot, humid, and windless most of the day.
around 3pm the wind picked up and we moved to a sandbar with deep water access.
I used an orange an black bucktail, and bulged it past the weeds.
43" fish.... pretty and chunky. Great release, she swam away well.
Today, lost about a 40" fish in a simular location.
Just in eating dinner, and will post later if success was had.
Good luck fishing.
Chris

Flambeau dreamer
08-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Went back out and fished sandbars with weeds, and had some decent results.
four castes into our first drift, a small ski followed in a bucktail.
Half way through the first drift, my cousin had a nice mid 40" fish hit a topraider, unfortunatley she jumped and threw the bait.
will be back out today, will post again soon.....
chris

Flambeau dreamer
08-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Saturday was another hot day. A nice chop was accross the water too.
went out in the morning and had two decent fish follow off one sandbar, and nothing else the rest of the morning period. Both followed a perch colored bucktail.
The evening was better, working the same sandbar with the same bait, I managed to get a 34" fish to hit on the second full figure 8. Working a newly discoverd rock bar, the third cast produced a small 30" ski.

Today is very windy with mostly cloudy skys, and a high temp in the low to mid 70's. I'm going out now.... will keep you posted.
chris

Flambeau dreamer
08-15-2010, 10:58 PM
well, as expected I saw nothing throwing the bucktail. My younger sister came out with me this evening and I instructed her to throw a bass sized spinnerbait. She had a blast catching a few small northern. She also had the only follow of the evening. A small mid 30" fish. Being a nubie at muskie fishing, I knew she had one following when she just kept saying "wo" over and over. I looked just in time to see her yank the bait out of the water as the fish boiled away from the boat.
I will show her how to do the 8, and hopefully next time she will catch her first ski.
Best of luck fishing
chris

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
08-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Chris,

Thank-you for the up dates. They are quite enjoyable and informative. Please keep them coming.

www.flambeauvista.com

Flambeau dreamer
08-16-2010, 12:19 PM
This morning greeted us with strong gusty west by northwest winds. Air temp was in the low 50's, water temp 72. Went to a calmer area near blair lake. Working shallow weed and stump combinations, a 36" fish ate a muskie sized spinnerbait as it was slow-rolled over the tops.
Will be out later this afternoon..... will keep you posted.
Chris

esox1
08-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Hey--great reports----I will check in daily for a report---Thanks and good luck---sounds like your having fun and some action !!!

Flambeau dreamer
08-19-2010, 02:44 PM
yesterday between the storms, caught a small 30" fish and lost a mid 30" fish. both came up on a spinnerbait pulled along weed edges in 6 feet of water.
Will hit the water hard tonight and post the outcome tonight or tomarrow.
good luck fishing
chris

Flambeau dreamer
08-23-2010, 01:04 PM
the past 4 days, no fish were in the net.
We saw plenty, even had a few fish knock the baits out of the water with closed mouths. I really am getting frustrated, but continue to pound the water in the early morning and late afternoon.
I too am frustrated with the the boats that keep speeding through my casting lanes. Two pontoon boats cut right in front of us, and continued to speed over the shallow sand bar we were drifting. I'm going to fish somewhere else today, probably merkle.
Good luck,
chris

Flambeau dreamer
08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Last night just after official moonrise a 33" fish was in the net.
a hellhound was the bait, and again, a sandbar with deep water access was the spot.
This morning, working simular locations, we were only able to raise a few small northerns.
Will be back out tonight.
best of luck out there
chris

LundAngler
08-24-2010, 04:10 PM
I am not a musky fisherman, so this question may sound stupid to the avid esox anglers out there, but why are the muskies hanging around sandbars? Several people have posted this info lately, and it just sounds strange to me. Can someone please explain? Thx.

Jim L
08-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Minnows have been shallow lately with the recent warm still days. I imagine they are following the bait. We caught some big smallies in 2-4 foot flats 2 days ago. Water temp was 80 and that is not a normal smallie pattern at this time of year. I would guess the minnows are taking advantage of weed cover that was previously above the water level. Recent rains have flooded vegetation that was growing on those sandbars earlier in the year.

Flambeau dreamer
09-02-2010, 01:11 PM
so, my trip ended with a bang.....or should I say splash?
I had trouble seeing fish the last four days of the trip, but that's fishing.....
truth be told, I spent more time on land with friends than in the boat those days.
However, the last cast on the last drift of my stay, we had a nice fish take a swipe at a mudpuppy. Thank God she never hit it, as I was sitting on the motor taking a break when she attacked. Isn't that always the way though?...you let down your concentration for one cast, and it will probably cost you.
Anyway..... now I think I must come back for the extended weekend and see if she will appear again.
Does anyone know where-a-bouts the water temps are. Are they still steadily in the low to mid 70's durring the day, or has it dropped to the mid to upper 60's?
Thanks,
Chris