PDA

View Full Version : GPS Map opinions for TFF

JohnR
08-16-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm new to posting, but have been lurking here for some time. This is an awesome forum, and the love for TFF here is very apparent. After living an hour away for 10+ years, I "discovered" the TFF late last year. I am totally hooked and want to fish no where else. I have been making due with a fishfinder for depth and a handheld GPS with some stored "safe routes" shown to me by my father-in-law. It's a PIA to say the least. I'm going to sock some dough away for a proper marine chartplotter. This probably isn't the place to discuss Humminbird vs. Lowrance, I can get that anywhere. What I'm looking for is opinions on Navionics, FishingHotSpots and Lakemaster maps in all the different levels for the TFF in particular. I imagine they are all decent but I wanted to see if there was a consensus. If you only have experience with one, what do you like about it and what don't you like? I know they won't keep me completely safe, but I'm sure I will be better off than I am now with a 2" b&w screen with no depths or contours at all. Thanks.

muskeye
08-17-2010, 08:26 AM
I use an older depthfinder that just shows the depth but always carry my garmin legend gps system and have it on all the time. I have routes and I always follow them precisely when moving from area to area. I am constantly finding new little humps or bars and always mark them as a waypoint. I haven't even seen a more technical depth finder or lake map chip in action but I am guessing they can't have every spot marked? Unless they use a sonar to get bottom of the lake feedback? I see quite a few people hit things especially when they are a long way from shore and think it is safe. I usually say "this boat is going to hit something" but it doesn't always happen. It is better now with the high water. Yes maybe get an upgraded finder but also learn from time spent on the water. Yes the tff sure is an awesome place!

DonH
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
I have some rock bars I fish that produce quite well. One of them is pretty large and we can easily fish 2 boats on it with the boats being a ways apart. It tops out at 5' to 9' depending on flowage depth, but surrounding water is much deeper. This particular bar has never shown up on any GPS programs I've seen (which makes me happy). This begs the question. If an area that big is continually being missed, how accurate are those programs?

Just asking?

My brother-in-law has all the latest stuff and he's always following his GPS to and from, and he hits much more stuff than I do. The worst thing I've hit in the last 10 years was last year. I was following him in about mid-night and let him lead because he was using his GPS. I was directly behind him following his wake and absolutely nailed a log.

BlueRanger
08-17-2010, 08:45 PM
This has been discussed before, but at this moment, Lakemaster offers the only TFF map based on a thorough on-the-water survey. So far, on the whole I've found it to be very accurate, but they obviously couldn't drive over every inch of the bottom so it doesn't capture every single detail and there are a few minor glitches here and there. It also won't show you where the stumps are, which you can only learn by spending time on the water when it's low or doing an awful lot of slow passes with sideimaging. In terms of displaying the channel locations, in my opinion the second best thing after the Lakemaster card is actually the free campsite pamphlet that's available at all the landings.

Navionics apparently surveyed the TFF last season (other people on this board saw their boats out on the water), but I checked with them before deciding to order the Lakemaster card this spring and they said that the new data is not on this year's version and couldn't confirm that it would be included next year.

RyanP
08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I have been using the 2009 edition of the Lakemaster chip in my Garmin handheld for the last two seasons. I have been very impressed with it from the start. Highly recommended. Just like others have mentioned, it is not perfect and I would not buzz around based off of the map alone. For example, for those of you that have this map too here is a spot to lose your lower unit that shows 11' of water. N 46 02.232' W 090 13.441' This giant boulder sits about 8" below the surface at full pool with deep water around it.

JohnR
08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one with the Garmin handheld. I know I won't be any more confident with a chartplotter and a chip, but I will be able to see the screen better, and imo it's just easier to operate on a boat than a handheld. I guess Lakemaster is my only option, thanks BlueRanger! I plan on spending many enjoyable hours on TFF marking fishing and trouble spots when I get my new electronics for next season.

Or maybe I'll just get one of these and go anywhere.
http://blogcentral.timesheraldonline.com/picture_this/08-13%20Fan%20boat.jpg

LundAngler
08-18-2010, 08:10 AM
I've had a Lowrance GPS locator since 2007, and I've used both the Navionics and Lakemaster chips pretty much all over the TFF. Bottom line, Lakemaster wins on accuracy, Navionics wins on showing you where to find the structure (rocks/wood/weeds). I have found a few errors on the Lakemaster chip but they are few and far in between...mostly down at the south end. The only area I have not yet explored with the Lakemaster chip is the bonies mound area. Have fun and still exercise some caution.