PDA

View Full Version : Fall Walleye advice

skeet
08-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi TFFrs,

I'm thinking about coming up for a fall camping and fishing trip to try for some Wallys. I was up in June and fished the Murray's landing area. I'm thinking about heading back there.

I was thinking the last week in September, first week in October time frame. Any suggestions for when the eyes might be hitting?

Any suggestions for good areas to target?

Thanks - this is a great site!

ff oldtimer
08-21-2010, 01:15 PM
that's a good time frame.if after turnover,try deeper river channels,rock bars ajacent to main lake basins ,and deeper areas.it has awlways worked for me.at dusk and dark work shallower.

LundAngler
08-22-2010, 07:55 AM
We have had some very weird weather this year, so it's hard to say what the walleyes will be doing, and at what time they will be there. Water temp, weather (cold fronts), wind direction & moon phase are all big factors in determining if you will have a fishing trip or a camping trip. Time of day is also big on the flowage. Fishing the twilight time frame has produced for me...but you need to know your way around if you are going to be fishing in the evening. Part of the beauty about camping on the TFF is that you can fish in the evening and not be far from "home". The big unknown this year is how low (or high) will the flowage be? I'm used to fishing it in Sept when the water level is usually much lower...that will probably not be the case this year. In general, October is considered by many to be "the" month to fish walleyes. I agree that river channels can produce in the spring and fall. Weedless Jig and a minnow are still my bait of choice. Good luck.

skeet
08-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the advice. I really enjoyed camping up there. What is the latest in October anybody has had good luck with Walleye?

I agree, this summer's weather has been crazy. My guess is that we will have a long hot fall.

Thanks again.

ff oldtimer
08-22-2010, 03:43 PM
i caught my best string of walleyes in a snowstorm in the 3rd week of oct. my brother and dad "god rest his soul" and myself got 14 eyes all between 23 and 28inches, two on jig and minnow the rest on cranks.limit was 5 back then.before spearing. in the late 80;s.in november it slows down big time.did catch a 9lber on musky jerkbait a few years back in second week of nov,when the high temp was 18 during the day.had trouble with iceup on the rod guides thou.its not worth it.

skeet
08-22-2010, 05:03 PM
I appreciate it. I'll report back on the trip. I'm thinking October sounds pretty good.

George
09-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Try the old Manitowish River bottom near Norway Point. It meanders back and forth, so keep a close eye on your depth finder. I've found going up and over the points it creates can be pretty productive in the fall. Also, shallow at dusk as has been mentioned earlier works too.

Zeke
09-05-2010, 08:52 AM
George, You are the man! In all the years of enjoying this blog, it is the first time I have seen an actual spot revealed. I have fished that spot with Don Pemble and thought we were over old cranberrries or is that more to the east? Anyway, tight lines. Haven't fished for a couple weeks , is the water clearing up?

BlueRanger
09-05-2010, 11:38 AM
As for how late in October, I usually don't start spending any serious time on walleyes until the last weekend of October or first weekend in November. Once the lake has turned over and water temps drop below about 45, the walleyes really concentrate and that's when the peak bite begins. But as oldtimer said, you can definitely encounter a wide range of weather at that time of year, and the fishing can be unbelievable one day and utterly miserable the next. Not a big deal for those of us with warm places to retreat to, but since you'll be camping, you may not want to risk it. If you come up the first or second weekend in October you should get to see some nice fall colors.

Late in the season, the Baraboo basin is one of the more popular areas. Fish will be on the bottom on the deep bars (see my sideimaging album) and on ledges at the base of the primary shoreline dropoffs, typically somewhere in the 14-18 foot range. Try different depths until you find fish, then stay at that depth - a foot or two up or down can take you out of the fish. Some days, drifting the deep mud can also be productive - I use a heavy 3-way rig or bottom bouncer and try with and without a spinner harness to see what they prefer.

skeet
09-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Guys thanks again for the fall fishing advice. I'm really looking forward to it. Looks like I'll be up the weekend of October 9-11. I'll make sure to give a full report.

I'm also interested in coming back up in the winter for some ice action. Is there much ice fishing on the TFF?

George
09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Is there much ice fishing on the TFF? Does Elmer Fudd have a hard time saying the letter R? :D Sorry....just couldn't pass that one up!

Thanks for the nice words Zeke.