PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the myth alive

JohnMG
08-22-2010, 04:08 PM
I was up Aug. 14-21 and had a great time. That week is so different from the rest of the year in a very good way. I enjoy, it, remember it and anticipate next year throughout the next 51 weeks. However, I seem to be trying to prove that it still takes some people 10,000 casts to catch a musky. I was close on 3. I thought I had a piece of weed on my bucktail and didn't finish with a figure 8 and as I lifted it out of the water a fat 40" class fish came out after it and actually slammed the side of the boat. I also had a similar sized fish make an aggressive follow but my figure 8 was weak and it swam away. Had a 30 inch class fish come all the way out of the water on a creeper and somehow missed it which is surprising to me for such a slow moving bait. 5 pike in the low 20's did their best musky imitation hitting bucktails so that was fun, but just seeing aggressive musky out of no where is exciting and will have me back next year. I tried to play the percentages with proven lures (ghosttails, pacemaker, creeper mostly) on proven spots (bars and points with good weeds on the east side including classic spots like pete's), but my obvious figure 8 weakness hurt as did marginal boat control (drift fishing, no trolling motor, resort rental). I am always open to suggestions and enjoy the information shared here.

Kaddy13
08-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Big props to you for keepin on truckin. It funny how muskie hunting works. sometimes it seems like you can't do anything right, then one night, the moon is right and you catch 2, 3, or even 4 in a two hour span. Just keep castin and you'll get rewarded. It seems like you were making the best out of what you had, NO trolling motor!?? Thats pretty tuff stuff. I applaud you. I don't kno if you'll be up in the end of september, but your welcome in my boat anytime. Small tip-Get yourself a 10in kickin minnow(perch) and a double 10 cowgirl w gold blades with some sparkly brown tinsel. Thats all you'll need to add to your ammo cuz it seems like you have some top stuff already. KEEP CASTIN!!

JohnMG
08-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks Kaddy! I do keep casting until the forearms burn but I just try to do as much as possible in my one week since that's all I can get away for. Otherwise I would love to do more and go with you in Sept. Thanks for the lure advice too.

Ty Sennett
08-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I'd say that you did just fine for your first time out there. The fishing is about as tough as it gets this year so you at least moved a few fish. Even the guys that placed in the top ten of the big tournament out here said it was a really tough bite. Nothing is coming easy out here the last month or so. It could be a crazy fall bite once the water temp cools down. I'd just chalk it up to a learning experience and look forward to a better bite next year.