PDA

View Full Version : muskies in the boat and a dead one.....

McDunnoftheAllegheny
08-24-2010, 09:05 PM
lunar tables were right on today, two mid thirty's fish on red craw showgirl and found a dead one, hadn't been dead long at all, 43-45ish nice fish, found it just at the end of the starbrick dredge.

Anzomcik
08-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Great job!! I was out pounding the water yesterday also with much less success than yours. The wild thing is the past month we have payed great attation to the lunar and we have been catchin most of our fish right on the majors. Never believed in that alot until this season.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
08-25-2010, 08:29 PM
I caught them on the major was out tonight had two follows just a little after the major I think if I would have stayed out for a few more hours I would've put one in the net.

Red Childress
09-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Been wondering if that dead fish was the one we caught on the 21st.......she measured just a hair under 46 and was caught in that general area that you saw her.

Very clean fish but her tongue did not fair well. The bleeding had stopped and she released pretty well but it has still been bugging me the past week or so.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
09-03-2010, 07:38 AM
well as hard as we all try to encourage and apply proper catch and release techniques it's a fact of fishing that sometimes you can't save a fish, while it is possible that it is the same fish I have reason to believe it wasn't, I happened to take a picture of the fish with my phone and I compared the two just now and the fish I found is heavily barred on the sides with minimal spots much more than the fish you guys caught, and the head wasn't nearly as big either.

H2O wolf
09-03-2010, 09:18 AM
I've been fishing for a week in Canada for over a decade. Not that I was targeting musky that entire time but it took me about 8 years to finally land one. Well, the first one I caught there died one me. I stayed out there for a half hour or so in the rain trying to revive it but after the thunder started I took off. Saw it washed up on a weedbed 2 days later. I had a horrible feeling evertime I drove the boat past there for the rest of the week but there's nothing that you can do sometimes.

Red Childress
09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Out of the few hundred muskies we have caught over the years, there have been 3 muskies that have died (for certain) in my boat over the past 17 years and 2 of them were fatally hooked on bucktails....the other was DOA on a Freestyler. I am guessing there have been a few "delayed mortality" fish as well but not certain.

Other than those 3 muskies, I have only seen 3 other dead river muskies since 1993.