PDA

View Full Version : T.F.F. Update

Don Pemble
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Well, I guess it's about time I post a fishing report on the TFF. I've been out several times in the last few weeks with friends and family and have been fishing much differently than I would if I had clients. We've been spending most of our time vertical jigging shallow weeds with 1/16th ounce Reeves weedless jigs tipped with a 2 inch piece of crawler and have been doing very good. It's not only been good for walleyes, but on jumbo perch, bluegills, smallies, crappies, and we have also boated a good number of good sized largemouth. The weeds, whether it be coontail or lily pads, are all holding good numbers of fish and we are doing the best in them on clear bright days with no wind, or during cold front conditions. Windy days are producing lots of smaller fish but still a decent number of keepers to keep us going back. For the most part, these weeds are in 3 to 6 feet of water and the thicker the weeds the more fish they hold, some patches of weeds are so thick that they clog up the trolling motor almost to the point that a push pole is needed. I checked the water level at Springstead Landing on Monday and it's about 10 inches below full pool, still very high for this time of year.

Will give another update in a week.

Good luck to all,

Don Pemble

St Croix Kid
09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
good to hear that you are getting out. buy you a beverage when I come up in early October, eh?

George
09-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the update Don. Good to hear from you!

JohnR
09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I need to learn how to vertically jig in thick shallow water weeds. No one has ever shown me this technique. Maybe I'm overthinking it and you just dip the jig here and there until something bites, but I imagine there is more to it than that. Can someone give me some tips and outline what I need to do? I would much appreciate it.

Don Pemble
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
John R,

Not a lot of skill needed for this type of fishing, just a good sensitive rod that you can detect the softest of bites, just pick out the openings of the weeds or lily pads and lower your jig to the bottom and riase it a foot up and just hold it there or slight up and down twiches should do it, if no bites just keep moving from opening to opening and repeating the vertical jigging methods.