PDA

View Full Version : PA State Fishing Tournament....

McDunnoftheAllegheny
09-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I was wonder what some peoples opinions on the state tournament are?

SportJet120
09-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Well on the positive side:

Only tourney east of the Mississippi that's free so everyone can enter without breaking the bank. Family oriented. Great Jr angler derby. Large area to fish and be in bounds. Easy access from vehicle or by foot. Referees present to observe Sundays catch. All fish released.

On the negative side:

Low prize money for Sundays catch. Chance of fatality bringing in big fish such as Muskie.

Red Childress
09-22-2010, 02:09 PM
IMO, it is a nice event and a great time to introduce a youngster to fishing. The town of Tidioute rallies around this event and it brings some excellent fishermen to the awards stand.

Yes, there will be some dead fish as a result of this event but that happens most anywhere when fish are transported to a scale. All you can do is put your best effort into keeping the fish alive or simply do not participate to ensure that you did not kill a fish.

For those who have never been to it, there really are some exceptional fish brought in and kept in the giant tank very near the scale. Maybe even take your kids there and show them how a fish can be caught, weighed and then released for someone else to catch someday. The kids love to look into the glass tank at the fish and I hope to take my gang down this year as well.

Good luck to the honest participants and bad luck to the handful who are planning to cheat.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
09-22-2010, 04:24 PM
I was just curious as to what some other more serious fishermens opinions were I fish it every year it's fun to do and might bank some money too. but my only concern every has been taking a musky to weigh in, last year I purchased the equipment to do it but didn't boat a legal fish, I'm concerned about the transport and stress factors and also that fish will then be dumped in tidioute along with the other 500 fish brought in for the tournament.

SportJet120
09-22-2010, 05:14 PM
IMO, it is a nice event and a great time to introduce a youngster to fishing. The town of Tidioute rallies around this event and it brings some excellent fishermen to the awards stand.

Yes, there will be some dead fish as a result of this event but that happens most anywhere when fish are transported to a scale. All you can do is put your best effort into keeping the fish alive or simply do not participate to ensure that you did not kill a fish.

For those who have never been to it, there really are some exceptional fish brought in and kept in the giant tank very near the scale. Maybe even take your kids there and show them how a fish can be caught, weighed and then released for someone else to catch someday. The kids love to look into the glass tank at the fish and I hope to take my gang down this year as well.

Good luck to the honest participants and bad luck to the handful who are planning to cheat. I hate cheaters. I believe that there will be referees on Sunday to each that qualify on Saturday.

SportJet120
09-22-2010, 05:17 PM
I have seen Muskie brought in and tanked that seemed pretty healthy. What would be the best way for someone to transport a 40" + fish to the scales?

cband
09-22-2010, 05:47 PM
I have weighed in several muskies over the years. I have a very large saltwater cooler and a very large Rubbermaid tote. Both are adequate for holding muskies up to 50". I had a 47" for the 2008 tournament. That fish was well taken care of and was released "early" and not held all day. As for the event, It is great time to go to camp, fish and see all the fish brought to the scales. As for judges on sunday, I have learned a few things by having them in my boat.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
09-22-2010, 09:29 PM
I actually caught a man cheating 2 years ago shame shame, and being a referee is kinda cool you get to go with someone you don't know and might pick up a few things from them too, I have before and I got to go on the allegheny around tidioute and learned where some good fishing is down there, well worth my time.

Katmai Kid
09-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I wish the HONEST ones luck as well. We will be hitting up the congo in hopes of a few big trout or pike in the a.m. Small mouth fishing has been great since the water is a little dirty, but I've learned my lesson not to try and qualify with them. We just don't get those five and six pounders like you river guys do. The zoo has sucked for us the past few weeks as well. With the big river clean-up last week hopefully they removed ALL of the fish boxes that yield some of those beat up fish you see at the scales! Good luck!!

Red Childress
09-24-2010, 07:11 AM
There are always referees on Sunday. Saturday is the day to qualify the top 3 weights in 5 different species (musky, pike, bass, walleye and trout). Qualifying is the toughest part.....then on Sunday, it is total weight of any species brought to the scales.

Trout caught in the Trophy Trout Area (from the Conewango North to the tailrace...8.75 miles) cannot be used to qualify because that stretch is catch and release from Labor Day until sometime in April.

Joe M
09-24-2010, 02:31 PM
I will be heading up from Pgh around 5pm. Good luck to all. Be safe. See you at the scales!!!!!

McDunnoftheAllegheny
09-24-2010, 03:23 PM
almost nap time for me hopefully i can weigh in right at 8am sure would be nice.....

SportJet120
09-27-2010, 12:19 AM
I will be heading up from Pgh around 5pm. Good luck to all. Be safe. See you at the scales!!!!! Congrats Joe on your win. Nice job. I was the guy that asked you if you caught it on one of Dale's baits at the end on Sunday. The total fish brought in was down around 30% compared to last year. the -30 degrees in temp and cold front that came in didn't help things. I fished Tionesta Lake for 7 1/2 hour with no hook ups or follows. I did take a break for a while and caught 1 bass. Congrats to all that qualified and won on Sunday.

Red Childress
09-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Congrats Joe! I have the newspaper article with your 'crown-wearing' mug pasted on it.

PM me or post your address here and I will mail it out to you.

Tourney Notes:

A total of 230 fish were brought to scales for a total weight of 598 pounds...down 37 percent from last year.

Sunday's results:

1st place--Joe Martinelli.......23.94 pound musky

2nd place--Darren Potts.......3 walleye/6 bass weighing 21.78 lbs.

3rd place--Terry Cotterman.....6 bass weighing 19.52 lbs.

Junior Angler Division:

1st place--Curtis Lewis (14 yr. old).....15.43 pounds

2nd place--Kyle Miller (15 yr. old)......13.71 pounds

3rd place--Adam Barker (11 yr. old)....10.88 pounds.

Joe M
09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks to all. Fishing was tough on saturday. I managed a 34" pike that weighed 7.78 that I was lucky to qualify with. I also released a 23 3/4" pike on saturday. I thought that fish was going to cost me a chance at qualifying. I saw one sub legal musky on saturday and my buddy got a 21" pike. We fished 12 hrs. I hit the water with my judge on sunday and trolled for about 40 minutes tops before the rod went screaming. I fished the rest of the day trying to get a pike or bass for a few more pounds and didnt see another fish. I hope the luck continues this weekend at the Chautauqua tourney.
ps. Red, I will email my info.
Thanks 2010 champ Joe M

Pescatore
09-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Congrats Joe,
I took my 8 & 11 year old boys to fish the tournament. We fished the river at Tionesta. I lost one on a Bulldawg. At one point my son held up a bulldawg and said; "Why are there soo many hooks on this one". Bulldawgs are great fish producers, but I seem to have alot of fish take the head of the bait and all I end up with is teeth marks. Anyone have this problem?

Joe M
09-28-2010, 06:57 PM
I think I seen you on the river saturday. Those 2 young bucks were ready to go. I saw them casting some big baits. My daughter turns 2 on Halloween and in a few years she will be doing the same. Thanks Joe

RapRunR
09-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Grats Joe !!!

Joe M
10-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I got the newspaper . Thanks alot Red.