PDA

View Full Version : Treeland 10/21-10/24

stoophey
09-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Going to treeland with a group of 6 guys 10/21 to 10/24. Have never fished here and its much later then our usual trips due to scheduling issues. Anyone think that is going to be too late for walleye and muskie? Any help is appreciated? Was considering a guide but not comprehending how 6 guys can be guided? Can we just follow in our boats?

Dave Hardy
09-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Yeah, definitely too late for muskie, way too late for muskie...I would just stick to walleye.

Just kidding, I will be there the same time. I am in a Tuffy Esox Magnum--sort of maroon with black fleck and a 50HP Merc. It is usually a good time for muskie, as the sucker bite, on quick strike rigs of course, is pretty good. They often save the day.

I would also recommend getting a guide if you have not fished The Chip in a while. It will be worth a lot more than what you spend. I doubt Ty is available, but if you can get out with him, consider yourself lucky and you will probably pick up a tip or two.

Regarding "following" the guide, I would suggest you not do this. Send a few guys out with the guide and the other guys do their own thing. You could ask the guide which section (eg. North, West, South, East) he plans to fish and then stay close that way. Not that the guide has "secret spots" he won't want to reveal, but there is so much good water on the Chip, that you should not have to follow a guide in your other boats. Do you have a gps sonar unit? If not, then buy a LakeMaster paper map--it has great detail and will turn every little section of The Chip into a potential muskie gold mine. This time of year I have seen the fish super shallow at times and pretty deep at times. So, review the map, pick some spots and then adjust based on what you are seeing/not seeing.

Regarding baits, someone should always be throwing a soft plastic (Big Joe, Bulldawg, etc.). You should also plan on using suckers; however, if you do use suckers, you definitely need to use quick strike rigs. Are you familiar with them? Not to sound like I am talking down to you, but most other rigs are proven killers. The right application of a quick strike rig is a high percentage hook-up technique and is less injurious to the fish than baits can be.

Enjoy the time and if you think you see me, stop by and we can compare notes.

Thanks, Dave Hardy

stoophey
09-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with all of the gear u speak of and my box contains about 100 assorted muskie lures. We already purchased the hot spots map. Issue I think we might have is a few of the folks on our trip are once a year fisherman who can barely handle operating a spinning reel and im looking for some advice on walleye fishing that time of year. I cannot fathom these folks casting all day although im sure we can work them in on fishing suckers im assuming they will lose patience. Again any walleye or crappie tips for that time of year are appreciated.

Ty Sennett
09-26-2010, 07:56 AM
The crappie should be easy to get at that time with tube jigs out in the deeper holes or in Moore's bay. The walleye will also be fairly deep in some of the brush around the outside of Kavanah Bay or outside of Hay Creek in those holes. Use larger minnows for the walleye as you will get a much better average sized bag of fish.

stoophey
09-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks a ton for the tips Ty.

Ty Sennett
09-28-2010, 06:45 AM
No problem.

stoophey
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the help. We ended up with a mixed bag of walleye and crappie fishing those holes in hay creek. Just enough for a 5 man fish fry. Good luck and thanks again.