PDA

View Full Version : New Rapala Max Rap

Red Childress
09-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Has anyone used or seen the new Rapala Max Rap (size 13, 5 1/4 inches, 1/2 oz, running depth 1-2 ft) ?? They look awesome and run shallower than the original Rapalas....looks like the perfect stickbait for fishing shallow rapids without making contact with bottom. They have the MaxCast mechanism built in and provides a little rattle for night fishing applications as well.

Just ordered a few. The only drawback is the price.......17.99 each!

Powerslave
09-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Seen them, dont own any though. Im a Rapala fan, my guess is its probably another good bait from them.
Im envisioning that bait in a couple coves I know of, in early Spring for Pike- Over shallow weeds.

ppalko
09-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I haven't tried one but I do not like the 3 hook design for a lure that short. I'd prefer two and maybe a larger size treble. I'm going to guess it will foul hook the line a lot on the front treble on casts, especially in the wind. There are some other options that avoid that problem from other lure makers. I've had a lot of success with less expensive stick baits and then don't worry so much when I cast one into a tree or sink one into an underwater pipe.... 17.99 is a little high for such a seemingly "ordinary" bait.

Red Childress
09-28-2010, 04:16 PM
It has been very hard for me to find a longer, slimmer type of bait that runs just under the surface at high speeds and the 'erracticness' I like to have. I hope this is the bait that can do it. The original floating Rapala has 3 trebles on the size 13 model and has not been a problem for me regarding fouling on the line and neither has the shorter thundersticks (4 3/8") with 3 wide-gap trebles.
I always feather my line just before the bait hits the water and that has eliminated my line-fouling problems plus with the center of gravity shifting toward the tail via the "MaxCast", the tail end of the bait should always hit the water first which will further eliminate potential for line-fouling.....no more helicopter spinning......at least I hope.

There is no way I would pay that much for a rapala that is only 5.25 inches long unless it came with a winning lottery ticket but I am lucky enough to get them for a cheaper price so I figured I would pick up a few.

I hope they work as advertised.

RapRunR
09-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Yes that sure is pricey !! I like that action though in the video. Might have to try one out. Just one, lol.

Red Childress
10-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Got them in last week and they look perfect for what I need them to do. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they suspend as well. That is just a bonus cuz I love suspending baits for the cold water period. They will be getting some serious water time this holiday weekend since 2 of the 3 guiding days will be spend chasing trout/walleye.

Red Childress
10-06-2010, 09:01 AM
There is a guy on eBay selling 10 of these baits with the current bid is 58.00. Heck of a price so far. He is from Pittsburgh as well.

Red Childress
10-12-2010, 07:06 AM
My client hit a 20" smallie on one of these baits Saturday. They cast like a bullet.....35 yard casts with the flick of the wrist and land tail first almost every time. Worked as advertised but 17.00 each is quite steep.

toothyfishman
10-12-2010, 08:06 AM
That's a nice smallie!!!