PDA

View Full Version : Something to try at boatside

Red Childress
10-03-2010, 07:16 AM
I had read an article in an issue of MHM a few years ago (I think) about leaving your bait in the water an extra 30-60 seconds after you have finished the retrieve, so I have been doing it and picking up some nice bonus fish that may not have eaten otherwise.

After every ten casts or so or when I am re-positioning the boat with the trolling motor, I have just been leaving the lure in the water and the current gives it a little "life" without even moving the bait cuz the water is moving faster than the boat as we slip drift downstream. With these longer rods, I can have a foot or two of rod submerged right beside the trolling motor (added vibration/sound right beside my bait).

As I had just spoken to some walleye trollers motoring by yesterday, my DC-10 submerged right beside the trolling motor and my head turned backwards talking to my clients, a 44-incher slammed it. Who knows if that fish had followed me (or one of the other 3 rods going) but nonetheless, the fish was netted. At the time the fish ate, my blades were not even going in full rotation but were just fluttering in the current as I was slowly pulling us away from the shoreline. This is the 6th time that this has happened to me since June. The other 5 times I had on Hellhounds, Mantas or MagDawgs so it appears it is effective when using baits that are just "sitting" there too.

Is it the trolling motor that attracts the fish to the bait or had they followed the bait on a prior cast and were just "lurking" under the boat?? Still not sure......All I know is that for just an extra 30 seconds of keeping my bait in the water as a "deadstick", we picked up an extra half dozen fish.

Red Childress
10-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Just as I had finished with the above post, I started remembering a few times when I thought my trolling motor had (gently) hit a log/rock/stick/floating debris or something.......after further investigation, it would have been impossible due to the depth of the water we were fishing and no obstructions or debris around.

I am now wondering if those "thumps" were actually muskies smacking the rotating trolling motor prop. Years ago there were some articles in MHM with guys talking about the possibility of muskies smashing their props soon after finishing their retrieve. They also heard these strange, subtle "thumps" and had no answers except that they were muskies.

I have seen the videos of muskies chomping the downrigger balls and nosing up very close to the kicker props while trolling which makes this a very real possibility, IMO.

Any input/info would be appreciated.

muskyjerk
10-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Not quite the same idea but you did use the words "any info". Caught a 36" last year with 4 evenly spaced slashes cut across it's back. Probably was near stationary at just the right depth to get glanced by a moving boat's prop. No picture as I was by myself.
Night fishing in the kayak I frequently fish, beavers, etc. and the occassional log/stick debris. No prop, just a paddle.

catchandrelease
10-03-2010, 04:49 PM
It's worth a shot. I couldn't see why it wouldn't work. It's a good opportunity to take a break at the very least.

muskyjerk
10-15-2010, 07:09 PM
while shortline trolling from my kayak w/ a jointed crankbait I decided to stow my head lamp and stopped paddling. the kayak slowly drifted forward as I was fumbling with my light and sunglasses and a 33" musky took my bait. Similar situation to Red's suggestion.
This has happened in the past to me- 36" musky and a 17.5" crappie,both while musky fishing. the crappie took an old rapala husky in the early spring.

bdiggy
10-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I think all species are prone to hitting a stationary lure. I have "caught" several bass and Northerns with lures just dangling in the water off the side of the boat. Last time, it wasn't even the rod I was using at the time, lol!

H2O wolf
10-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info Red. I have never heard or that and it sounds like it's worth trying. I had a very small pike jump a few feet out of the water once to hit a bait on a rod that had been laid down with the bait dangling a few feet above the water.

Red Childress
10-18-2010, 06:57 AM
The bonus fish I had mentioned were caught right beside the running trolling motor.......not sure if those fish had followed us in on prior casts and decided to eat or if the sound of the trolling motor attracted those fish and saw my bait there and smashed it. Still pretty cool either way.......