PDA

View Full Version : any weights for fishing

Capt. Keith Wils
10-07-2010, 07:31 AM
If you use any lead based sinkers for fishing take minute and fill out this form.
Thank You.
Walleye's Choice Fishing Tackle

Federal Bill to Protect Traditional Fishing Tackle introduced
Help Fight Unreasonable Bans on Fishing Tackle;
Send a letter to your Senators urging them to support S.3850

On Wednesday, September 28, Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) introduced S.3850, which seeks to prevent an overarching federal ban on lead in recreational fishing tackle. If enacted, this ban will have a significant economic impact on anglers and the recreational fishing industry.

The EPA previously announced, in a letter to the petitioners, they did not have the legal authority to ban traditional ammunition. However, in that same letter, they indicated that the EPA does have the authority to review the second portion of the petition regarding traditional fishing tackle.

Senate Bill 3850 will exempt traditional fishing tackle, in a way similar to traditional ammo, from being regulated under the TSCA. The legislation also includes language strengthening the protections for traditional ammunition by clarifying that its components remain exempt.

The reasons to support this legislation are:
• The data does not support a federal ban on lead sinkers used for fishing. In general, bird populations, including loons and other waterfowl species, are subject to many more substantial threats such as habitat loss through shoreline development. Any lead restrictions on fishing tackle need to be based on sound science that supports the appropriate action for a particular water body or species.

• A federal ban of the use of lead in fishing tackle will have a significant negative impact on recreational anglers and fisheries resources, but a negligible impact on waterfowl populations.

• Depending on the alternative metal and current prevailing raw material costs, non-lead fishing tackle products can cost from ten to twenty times more than lead products. Non-lead products may not be as available and most do not perform as well. Mandatory transitioning to non-lead fishing tackle would require significant and costly changes from both the industry and anglers.

• America's 60 million anglers generate over $45 billion in retail sales with a $125 billion impact on the nation’s economy, creating employment for over one million people.

Click here to be directed to a letter that you can send to your Senators asking them to support S.3850
http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing/issues/alert/?alertid=17980506

Dan Thomas, President
Great Lakes Sport Fishing Council

albe
10-09-2010, 09:05 AM
This is a reply to my sending in my letter regarding lead fishing tackle.

Thank you for contacting me regarding regulation of lead ammunition and fishing tackle. I appreciate hearing from you, and I agree that recreational fishing has an important economic impact on Wisconsin.

As you may know, under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), any person may petition the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to initiate a proceeding for the issuance, amendment, or repeal of a rule. On August 3, 2010, several groups petitioned the EPA under the TSCA to prohibit the manufacture, processing, and distribution of lead for shot, bullets, and fishing sinkers. On August 27, 2010, the EPA announced that it had rejected a petition calling for a ban on the production and distribution of lead hunting ammunition.

The EPA determined that TSCA does not provide it with authority to regulate lead shot and bullets. According to the EPA, "as there are no similar jurisdictional issues relating to the agency's authority over fishing sinkers, EPA - as required by law - will continue formally reviewing a second part of the petition related to lead fishing sinkers. For more information about the petition, or to comment on the fishing tackle issue before September 15, please visit http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/e51aa292bac25b0b85257359003d925f/48d939b5009411038525778c00768006!OpenDocument. I hope you find this information helpful.

On September 28, 2010, Senator Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) introduced S. 3850, the Hunting, Fishing, and Recreational Shooting Protection Act. This bill would exempt lead ammunition and lead fishing tackle from regulation under the TSCA. S. 3850 has been referred to the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind should this, or similar legislation, come before the full Senate.

Thank you again for contacting me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Russell D. Feingold
United States Senator

DooFighter
10-09-2010, 07:02 PM
As usual, a politician riding the fence an d will not commit to one side of an issue. He'll wait as long as possible, watching what everyone else will do.

Capt. Keith Wils
10-10-2010, 03:49 PM
October 7, 2010

Capt. Keith Wils

10132 M-35

Gladstone, MI 49837

Dear Capt. Keith,

Thank you for contacting me about banning lead in fishing tackle. I understand your concerns.

As you may know, on August 3, 2010, the EPA received a petition that asked the agency to prohibit lead use in fishing tackle. While this petition is still under review, I understand your concerns about the impact that this rule could have on Michigan's recreational fishing community. Therefore, I would urge you to contact the EPA at www.Regulations.gov and paste "EPA-HQ-OPPT-2010-0681" in the search bar to leave your comments.

As a member of the Congressional Sportsmen Caucus, I know the important role that anglers play in protecting natural resources like the Great Lakes and supporting our economy. Should this issue come before me in the Senate, I will keep your concerns in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow
The United States Senate • Washington, DC 20510
stabenow.senate.gov