PDA

View Full Version : Musky escape

muskyjerk
10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I fished in the Moraine Musky Association get together last June and we all finished with 0 muskies. A friend of mine was fishing for walleyes with his dad and trolling a roadbed when they hooked and landed a 52" muskie on a glass shad rap.
My buddy wanted to get the fish mounted figuring it was the largest fish he will ever catch. Replicas aren't an option for him out of stubborness (and I think he likes to try to get a rise out of me by killing a musky).
After unhooking the fish and not bothering to get a picture because he would have a mount he put the fish on a nylon stringer and dumped it in the water beside the boat. Before getting the boat back underway they checked the fish again and only found a cut stringer.
The fish bit through the stringer and swam away.

Pescatore
10-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't know if Tim Costello is in the Moraine Musky Club anymore, but ask him about the mid 40 inch musky that escaped his net this summer at Arthur. Those fish are pretty sneaky in that lake. Tim was next to me in his boat when I hooked a good fish. Tim yelled "Do you want me to net her?" I said sure why not. For those who don't know Tim, lets just say he doesn't buy the best or most expensive equipment. He netted the fish and handed the net over to me. As I thanked Tim, the fish bit the net, thrashed around, and swam right out of a hole it managed to make. All I could say was; That was definately a safe release. :)

muskyjerk
10-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Tim Costello gave a presentation at an MMA meeting in September 2009. It was one of the best I've attended. He had good practical info and lots of big fish videos with his whole family. Hats off to Tim.