PDA

View Full Version : RFRG 10/20 Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
10-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Yesterday, 10-19, saw water temps on the ER Chain around the 50-51 mark on the mid-chain lakes and 46-47 down on the river. It seems artificial baits are bringing in fish to have them hit live suckers... one of those years.

Up to yesterday not the fastest paced action but water temps are beginning to tumble again and I believe that will set off quite a few of our larger fish. Big girls have been kinda shy, maybe raising one during a days outing but a lazy follow. Smaller fish, up to 36in seem to be a bit more willing to dance.

Glide baits, dive/rise baits, cranks, and plastics are the choices for me lately. I'd toss around the occasional Crane thinking smaller may trigger a bigger fish but still was turning those smaller fish. Go figure.

Special mention goes out to Wild Eagle Lodge guest Nathan, 7 years old, who boated his first muskie yesterday, a 35 incher on a live sucker! Congrats Nathan! I have to tell ya, outings like this is why I guide! To watch Nathan wrestle with that sucker rod, miminal help from me, was an absolute HOOT! I was amazed by the look of determination on that boys face as he fought that 35 incher... I saw emotions ranging from fear to shear joy on his face. Just amazing. Remember, this boy is seven years old and it wasn't the warmest day and it was windy. NEVER a peep about "when they gonna bite", "I'm cold", or "I'm ready to quit". Hell, he was ready to keep fishing at sunset for a bigger one! I was so very impressed that I dug out a jamboree trophy and a couple PK lures for his tackle box. Hmmmm, perhaps the next heir to the RFRG empire?

Pete Stoltman
10-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Great effort by young Nathan. I suspect he's heading down the slippery slope of being a full blown musky nut. I met him and his Nana Sunday night at the show and you could just tell the boy has the passion. Great kid and I couldn't be happier that he got his first. That's a memorable event for everyone involved.