PDA

View Full Version : Short weekend

BlueRanger
10-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Well, I had a very short weekend due to a mechanical issue. I put in Friday morning and fished for several hours, then headed in for lunch. I was optimistic, having already seen 2 muskies. A smaller fish nipped at the tail of a Realfish Sucker right under the boat - that one was on a steep dropoff along one of the islands in Baraboo. Then a high-40s fish followed a Burt back to the boat but turned away when it saw me - that one came off a shallow weed edge in the Manitowish channel just north of Baraboo. As I was coasting in to the dock, I shifted into reverse to stop, and the motor decided to stay there. Fortunately, I was able to restart the motor and slowly make my way back to the landing in reverse. Spent Saturday morning cleaning all my gear out of the boat and headed home in the afternoon. Depending on the weather and how soon I can get the motor looked at, my season may have come to a premature end.

Water level was just above -.9 feet and surface temperature was around 46 degrees. Outflow is way down, judging from flow under the bridge at Park Falls. Saw plenty of boats out walleye fishing on Friday, and heard a lot of shooting, especially Saturday morning.

DonH
10-28-2010, 10:20 AM
I can't recall this site ever being this quiet. Isn't anyone fishing any more? I know the weather the past few days has been impossible, but it's been quiet for months. I emailed Don Pemble a day or two ago and told him we need him back posting every day. I'm even thinking of accusing someone of stealing my marker buoys (just to get some juice on this site), but then I decided not to go there. Probably one of my better ideas.

Hope your motor is OK. Looking at the bright side (if there is one), it happened right by your dock and not when you were taking pictures in Merkel.

Although I won't get up there again this year, I won't winterize the boat until December as I love late fall fishing around Milwaukee. I was out until 2 am a couple of years ago on a night when it never got above 25 degrees. When I called it a night and pulled up to the dock, I stood up and immediately fell flat on my face in the boat. I had been sitting so long in the freezing cold, my legs didn't work. I must have looked like I was drunk. Luckily I had secured my rods and didn't break anything. That must make me a fisherman! Being thankful I didn't break a rod rather than an arm or leg.

luv2brw
10-28-2010, 12:03 PM
I was up from 10-21 to 10-24 in pursuit of walleye. Never found them, fished from 4 feet water to 27 feet. Found a whole lot of smallies though, so they made for some fun. 10 feet of water for the smallies - bobber and minnow.

ski2313
10-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I think I'm going to give it a shot on friday the 5th... one last crappie, walleye, and smallie outing on the TFF for the year..

chicken
11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
DonH, I hear ya on how quiet the site has been. I posted some musky pics a while back and got ZERO responses. I though the folks out there would enjoy the pictures, but hey I guess not. I probably should have said someone stole my marker bouys to see if there was a pulse out there.

ski2313
11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Someone did actually steal my marker buoys one time.. true story..

Had two out marking a river channel bend east of fisherman's.. friend calls for me to pick him up at springstead.. run over there with the boat, pick him up, come back.. no buoys! I hope they at least fished the spot before they took them!