PDA

View Full Version : Co-Pilot type Trolling Motors

ttabaleulb
10-31-2010, 10:39 AM
Are you guys aware of any transom style trolling motors out there than can be controlled by a handheld device? I'm thinkin of upgrading my trolling motor but I don't want any clutter on the bow as this is where my flyline ends up while I'm fishing. I check Minn Kota and Motorguide real quick and I didn't see an option. I just have a 14' Jon and the front deck space is limited as it is.

Anzomcik
10-31-2010, 06:12 PM
You can use the copilot motors only have them 180 degrees. I understand what you are wanting, but as far as i know there is nothing that is a ment to do what you are asking.

ttabaleulb
10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I like that idea!! I guess I'll just have to try and figure a way to mount something like that on the back of the boat. Sounds like a good Winter project. Either that or I have to get a new boat!! LMAO

Red Childress
11-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Jay,

Something else to think about is if you are in the back of the boat with the engine/gas/batteries/trolling motor it might be tough to maintain decent boat control if any wind or current is present. I know how unbalanced and difficult to maneuver a 14' jon can get with only one guy in it with all the weight in the arse end of the boat.

Have you thought about mounting the trolling motor on the bow (along with the battery) and just run the control to the back deck and operate it from there? If you get a manual transom mounted motor you will have to use your hand to operate it........running the controls to the back will obviously keep your hands free to do your thang in the back. Plus, your boat will perform better if the motor is 'pulling' the boat rather than pushing it from the rear. The front end will stick up high and the wind really grabs it.

I have not seen your layout so this might be a bad idea.

ttabaleulb
11-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I see what you're saying Red. I spend all of my time in the front unless I'm firing up the outboard to head to another spot. The bow has an extended deck on it compared to what comes stock. There is plenty of room as it is. However, if I put a bow mount trolling motor on there, it would take up quite a bit of that space and I'm sure my flyline would get caught on it quite a bit.

I believe the trolling motor that I currently use is for the transom, but I attach it to the bow with the screw mount it has on it. It just sucks to have to lean down and adjust that thing constantly. I think I'm pretty much stuck with my current setup until I get a new boat at some point.

Red Childress
11-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I understand completely.

Anzomcik
11-01-2010, 10:26 AM
motor guide makes what i think is called a "bulldog" (i am at work and do not have the time to look it up) but it is a transom mount style motor with a push pull cable foot pedal. That would take up less room than a traditional bow mount.

I read my first post again, i wanted to clairify just in case. The powerdrive style motors can spin 360 degrees around, and around only draw back is cable cord getts all twisty. You probable understood what i ment originally but i wanted to clear that up after reading it again.

ttabaleulb
11-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I'll check the Motorguide site again and look at that model. I did understand what you meant in the earlier post. When I read it, it reminded me of that because thats the style motor my brother has on his boat too.

I'll check around over the Winter and see if there is anything I might be able to rig up. If not, I'll just deal with my current set up for a while. I busted a blade off the prop over the weekend and have to replace that this week as it is. LOL I still used it as I was at the lake and NEEDED to get my fishing fix. The wind over the weekend was kind of a pain and the motor was vibrating like crazy every time I had to use it. It made the whole boat shake!! LOL It was all worth it though as I was able to put another fish in the net!! :D