PDA

View Full Version : Free Travel On The Ontario Side????

Frank Walsh
11-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Should be self explanatory. What great news!
Click on the thumbnail to expand large enough to read.

bobh
11-05-2010, 06:38 PM
That is great news. I hope "interim" means a long long time!

dougj@wiktel.com
11-09-2010, 05:20 PM
This makes it sound like we won't need the RABC to get into Canada by water. I suppose we'll still need one to go to the US by land, or call in at Jim's corner.

Doug Johnson

Illinois Dennis
11-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Doug, that brings up a good point, the Jim's corner call in. I used to think I didn't have to call in with the RABC. Then it hit me, I have an Ontario RABC and traveling into Manitoba.... so years back I figured the RABC was worthless and called in as needed. The U.S. side never said anything until a few years ago, but when they complained that I didn't call in on the way in one time, I started calling in from then on.

dougj@wiktel.com
11-11-2010, 10:03 PM
The RABC is also good to get back into Manitoba from the Angle. To get back into the states through Manitoba you either need to call in from Jim's corner or have a RABC.

The way it sounds you won't need the RABC to get into Ontario by water, but if you don't have a RABC you'll need to call in from Jim's corner to get back into Manitoba and ultimately the US.

With the number of times I go through, I'll probably get a RABC. For folks who only go through once or twice a year, I would just call in at Jim's corner when leaving.

I'd also wait tell I saw something more positive about this before I'd change what I was doing. Sometimes a letter like this is deceiving and not always what's really happening. A quick seach on the web doesn't show any current change in the requirements for entering Ontario by water or the requirement for a RABC. Hope that will change soon.

Doug Johnson

Twocanchew
11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
We have been given grief when re-entering the USA by car on the way back to Roseau even though we had RABC passes. Now, we check in at Jim's Corner upon our initial arrival at LOTW but don't stop at Jim's Corner on the way home and never have any problems. I hate having to stop at Jim's Corner when we first arrive but it's worth avoiding the hassle on the way home.

dougj@wiktel.com
11-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Yes!

You need to check into Jim's corner and check back with the US folks when arriving at the Angle. I have and if you are a frequent visitor what's called a "Nexus" card which allows you to check back into the US using any phone (I use my cell phone). The "Nexus" card is also good at the US border when returning and works like a pass post. You need to somehow check back into the US every trip to the Angle.

If you didn't check in when you get to the Angle expect to have some problems getting back out at the US border. They do keep record of folks who call in and if you didn't do this they get real up-set.

It's not really that hard to do and if everything is working the way it's suppose it (it seems to be getting better) then it's only a few minutes to do what the folks want us to do.

Pretty much thanks to 9/11.

Doug Johnson