PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Abu parts

Red Childress
11-08-2010, 10:37 AM
I am looking for the "handle nut cover screw" that fits on the Toro 61 HS. Abu Corporate does not have them in stock either as of today.

The handle nut covers are sold on eBay and they are on their way to Warren today but I just need that tiny damn screw that holds it on the reel handle.

The part number is: 1117207.

I know this is a long shot but I figured I would give it a shot by posting here. I also called Water Wizard Tackle in Buffalo and he does not have them.

Editor
11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi Red

Check with these guys under reel repair

http://www.learninghowtofish.com/pages/recommended-fishing-leaders-reel-repair-rods-amp-fishing-nets.php

Take Care

Red Childress
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Bob. The guy at Dave's reel repair just gave me the number of a place in TX that "should" have them.

toothyfishman
11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a 5500 that is missing that cap and tiny screw and I've used it for a long time with just the nut holding the handle on. Gotta keep an eye on it so it doesn't back off but if it starts you notice the handle flopping before it comes all the way off and can tighten it.
If it takes longer than you can wait to get your parts it may be an option if they are built the same?

lowbidder
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Red,
You know I was having the same problem with my Record (along with a host of other problems witht that stupid reel). Toothy is right about using it and keeping an eye on it. I wound a rubber band between my handle and the drag to take out the wobble, but the nut still comes loose.

Before I decided to sh*tcan my Record (yesterday), I was considering drilling and tapping the handle and putting in a larger screw. Is there an industrial arts shop in your school? :)

Red Childress
11-08-2010, 03:01 PM
We have one but I am working at the elementary school these days. I could get some help there but let me ask ya'll a question:

Is there some type of glue or thread treatment that would secure the screw but still allow you to unscrew it if needed?? Maybe some type of thread tape or something that would not lock it down forever??

In 30 years of using baitcasters I had never had those screws fall out and lowbidder and I had 2 of them crap the bed in one day. Bizzaro World for sure.

lowbidder
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I had another one fall out 2 weeks ago on the record. It was the second one installed on that reel and was guaranteed to last "Longer than I would" Lol.
Loctite Threadlocker Blue should work. I was thinking about that yesterday. You run the risk of stripping the screw head trying to take it out though.
If I ran into this problem again, I would seriously drill and tap a larger screw into the hole and use the loctite with a hex-head screw that wouldn't strip getting it back out.

toothyfishman
11-08-2010, 04:03 PM
You should be okay with the locktite blue, DO NOT US THE HIGH TEMP RED, it requires heat to get it too break free.

Another deal I would do since you do have parts coming is just a dab of silicon in the threads and also a dab at the end of the stud when it is tight.
It won't allow it to back off and also can be removed easy. Just the dab on the stud would probably be enough in itself.

Stop at Walmart and get a tube of Sportsman's Goop, it works great for all kinds of quick fixes and it can be sealed back up, It's like a toothpaste tube.
Think it's by the camping gear if I remember right.

The stuff is the bomb for fixing waders that leak too.

Red Childress
11-10-2010, 07:54 AM
I need to track down the dang screws first....cannot find them anywhere and have exhausted all my options thus far.

It appears that Abu parts are tough to find according to 4 other reel repair guys.

Red Childress
11-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Just talked to the 3 largest Abu parts dealers in the US and they are out of stock. The reason for this is that there is such a demand for these "new" reels that all parts are going into production for the time being.

If any of you are looking for Abu parts in the future, here are the numbers of the largest parts dealers in the US:

Southwest Parts and Service (TX)--214.630.8161

Outdoor World (MO)--417.873.5274

ThreeRiversEsox
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Red, Why don't you try posting a WTB ad on one of the other musky sites? Surely someone out west has an extra one somewhere!!

Red Childress
11-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Thought about that but the reel still works so I am just going to wait until they arrive or I quit fishing (casting) in early Jan.

lowbidder
11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I was thinking today... I wonder if AG will give you the specs on the screw? All you need is the diameter, length, material and thread pitch. I bet fastenal can order them in for you in a few days... even ship them to your house if you don't have a store in Warren.

One time I broke a shear pin in a trolling motor and it was going to cost me about 15 bucks to get a new one shipped from MinnKota. I went to Fastenal with the dimensions of the pin and bought a pack of 20 for under 5 bucks. They even had them on the shelf.

hookupone
11-13-2010, 10:39 AM
fyi. A suggestion for your "screwing needs" would be to try the industrial supply sites. In many cases they will have next day service. I would purchase a thread gauge plate so that you can determine what type (SAE or metric) and thread pitch.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?op=search&N=11183&in_dim_search=1
http://www.mcmaster.com/#
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRHM?cm_re=HomePage-_-SiteLogo-_-HomePage

A word of caution about Loctite and many threadlockers. You will need to be very careful on what application you are using it with. On many plastics (e.g. your reel handle nut cover), it will destroy them if they are not compatible (craze or crazing). On non reactive metals (e.g. stainless), you will need to use an activator for full cure although it may still partially set. You can also find most types of Loctite (threadlockers) on these sites. You may also want to consider a threadlocker called Vibra tite.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#vibra-tite-threadlockers/=9p9e11

Red Childress
11-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the info, hookupone.

I did call Abu a few minutes ago seeking the dimensions of the screw and no dice.

Red Childress
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Lowbidder just figured out the specs on the screw.....I am posting this so I can go back and find it later if necessary.

#4 stainless machine screw
48 thread pitch
3/16 long

lowbidder
11-15-2010, 03:56 PM
It may be 1/4" in length. It just depends wether they measure from the head or where the threads start.

hookupone
11-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Just a quick fyi. Not trying to be smart but most likely the screw is metric since the reel is manufactured in Sweden? well Europe anyway. Most likely the screw is an M3 x 0.5. Both screws are very close in diameter and the thread pitch is virtually identical.
McMaster Carr has descriptions of how screw are measured.
If you have issues getting small quantities and you know finally know what screw it is, then I probably have something close where I work at. We have lots of screws.
Let me know Red.

Red Childress
11-16-2010, 11:31 AM
The reels are actually made in Korea (according to a reputable reel repair guy) with the Swedish stamp of approval. :)

Apparently, the US is not the only country who relies on outsourcing to turn a profit or should I say a bigger profit.

Lowbidder ordered a few screws that he thinks will be close to (if not) perfect. I will definitely take you up on the offer as soon as we find out, if necessary.

Thanks again.

Red Childress
11-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Just got news from Lowbidder that he and his team of CSI field agents just cracked the specs of the screw. The ones he ordered fit perfectly and he even sent me a half-dozen via mail.

lowbidder
11-16-2010, 01:20 PM
It turned out the screw for our reels is 3/16" long, but the 1/4" that fastenal had in stock worked without interference. I expected the screws to be metric also, but was pleasantly suprised to find they were US and in stock!

McMaster Carr is the absolute best at hardware. They're awesome for guys who like to tinker. I only went to Fastenal because we have one down the road from my office.

It feels good to have two of my reels back in good working condition again. Abu has been really good to me for parts up until now. You would think even if they didn't have the parts in stock, they would give the specs on the screw so we could keep fishing...Fail!