PDA

View Full Version : Border fishing

tallmark
11-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Just a note from "up North". Fished the Gile Flowage a week ago Saturday tossing a Smitty bait and dragging a sucker while drifting downwind. Had a medium size fish hit the Smitty but didn't keep her hooked up so I went back and drifted the same section and she hit the sucker this time. I put her in the net and measured her out at 36". Nice Saturday. This past Saturday I was on a Michigan lake with my friend Brett fishing the wind blown shorelines and weeds. Not much happening so we took a break in the calm water and decided to hit a shoreline we started on. We worked from 15 feet earlier and this time started at 12 casting the shoreline and dragging a couple suckers. My shallow dawg got the attention of a hungary girl. I made a big hookset and began to wrestle with her. When Brett got her in the net on the second time around we celebrated a sturdy November 40". She absolutley destroyed the bait. That was the only fish we saw but she sure was fun. Still some time left this month. Hope to get out again once or twice before ice. Sent Brett to Rolly and Helens for new shallow dogs!

chicken
11-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Hey Mark, nice fish! I have yet to have success with a dawg, so glad to hear you got one on that bait. We met you a few weeks ago on the Gile with Russ, but struck out and didn't boat any fish. How did you end up doing this year on the Gile? We do not fish that water often at all, but it looks pretty promising.
Chris

tallmark
11-12-2010, 08:36 AM
This has been a good year for me and the dawgs. Nothing huge but I've caught 3 on Bulldawgs this year. Biggest was a 42" this summer in Minnesota. Gile is an interesting body of water and about 20 minutes from garage to water for me so I get out when I have a little time cuz it is close. This year was especially attractive because the water level was up with all the rain. Gile is also and evil body of water because of the changing water levels. It can be a foot lower in the space of a week which make navigation interesting! Did you notice Russ never runs very fast there? I'm still learning to fish the Gile Flowage. Still some November left! See you on the water.

chicken
11-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, we took it pretty slow on the Gile for obvious reasons, he only opened up the 150 Evinrude a couple of times. Do you guys ever fish the TFF too? I'm pretty comfortable navigating out there so we should meet up somtime and throw for some big girls. Sounded like you guys were looking for a new boat setup, so you'll have to swing by if you see my green Lund out next year. Unfortunatley deer season has trumped my November musky hunting.

tallmark
11-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Only fished the TFF once for walleyes. Sounds like fun to get together next season. Brett talked about another boat, even found a Ranger he liked but I think he is sticking with the Tuffy Esox for the time being. And my 16 ft Lund with 15HP merc is a good boat on the floawge up here. Easy for me to handle by myself.
Get a big buck. Enjoy the tenderloins!

chicken
11-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Sounds great Mark, we'll have to meet up with you and Brett next year and share some hot spots. Good luck with the remainder of November and post up a pic of the big girl when you catch her!