PDA

View Full Version : Any good deer reports?

toothyfishman
11-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Mckean county has done a great job with their deer management, should be able to keep track of the deer you can see on one hand now!!!!

Like to about make you sick when there is 3 deer at our big buck contest. I did leave 10 mintues early so maybe a bunch showed up at the end, yea, right!

We did see a few deer, one spike that Jake couldn't get a shot at.
Very little shooting, very sad out there!!! Without a doubt I did see more coyote tracks then deer.

So glad the Game Commish didn't join hands with the Fish Commish. I still can catch fish!

Ah.....Hope no one else had the disappointment of McKean County on their first day. Maybe I'll muskie fish next year, first day.

Anzomcik
11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
I did not leave my stand all day, seen three deer (2 4points and a doe). Crazy part is my Brother in law was maybe 300 yards from me (i could not see him from where i was at) but he seen 24 all doe, my dad seen 12 (one nice 8 point and rest doe). I heard alot of shooting. Was not my best day in the stand but it was better than working. Each year is different so none the less still fun and exciting

I enjoy the weekday hunts much more, the slow walks, quite time in the stand more like archery. Thats my bread and butter

lowbidder
11-30-2010, 07:20 PM
This has been a far better than average year for the guys down in the southern counties. These deer were all killed by friends within 15 minutes of my house. I know of several more similar in size that have been killed, I just don't have the pics yet. The picture of the two bucks together were killed by twin brothers... kinda ironic.
Myself, I fished on monday. I've cut way back on hunting since catching the musky bug. I did see two hunters monday float past me on kayaks holding their high powered rifles and looking like floating statues. I should've gotten a picture of that!
Here are the big boys...

Ivan
12-01-2010, 08:41 AM
I had some decent action the first day, but didn't pull the trigger. My family owns property in Crawford Co. I also stayed in my tree all day Monday. I saw 25 deer, 5 of which were small bucks. One was probably barely legal (4pts on one side), but I let him walk. He actually bedded down about 75yds from my tree for 2 hrs, so he gave me a really long time to think about it. I also saw a coyote, some turkeys and too many squirrels. I couldn't get a shot at the coyote, otherwise he would have been taking a dirt nap. I think my dad saw about 30 deer, 3 of which were smaller bucks. One guy of the 6 that hunt our property got a pretty nice 8pt. We have a lot of deer, but we also plant a lot of food...corn, soy beans, clover. I think some areas of the state have a great deer population and I like the antler restrictions. Unfortunately, there are too many hunters around us. The deer just don't get old enough to get any monsters. Most of the bucks we get to shoot are 2.5 maybe 3.5yr old deer. I will get back out on Saturday. I will probably take a doe if I don't see a shooter buck by lunch time.

cband
12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
We had a pretty good day in Indiana County. In the pic from left is a buck my buddy shot, mine is in the middle and my brothers is on the right. Mine and my brothers were pretty nice bucks.

toothyfishman
12-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Doe season is limited to the second week only so I guess they are in agreement that we have a problem. Still have the DMAP tags we need to get them to do away with.

We got snow today so maybe that will help out some.

cband
12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
"Still have the DMAP tags we need to get them to do away with."

Toothy

I spoke with two Rangers in ANF and one told me they did away with the DMAP tags and the other said they were still doing it. Are they still doing the DMAP? I think it would be a no brainer to do away with it.

Red Childress
12-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Those are some nice looking specimens.

toothyfishman
12-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Yes, still DMAP.

I think it's an area by area deal.
I wish they would go back to the county by county doe permit issue number.
This area cannot be joined in with surrounding areas.

lowbidder
12-02-2010, 10:45 PM
This one went down today. With a little snow on the ground, I expect to see a few more nice ones tomorrow. Toothy, I think you're right about the area by area. We are allowed to shoot doe around my house in the first week, but 10 miles to the east in the same county, they're not. I liked the old way better too. I can't complain too much... my dissatisfaction with the game commission pushed me away from hunting and back into fishing :)