PDA

View Full Version : 2010 stories

Anzomcik
12-24-2010, 10:19 AM
If you have any cool stories from this past season please share.

The coolest fish i caught this year came from a cluster F cast i made. I was fishing from the bank on a river. How i need to fish this hole was i was standing atop of a large rock pile about 6 feet above the water. Nice for seeing fish but not good for close range baitmovemnt.

i know there were fish in there, as i seen a few swipe at my bait but no takers. I was working a small glide bait, and went to do a relativ long cast and i casted over a small branch (i didnt see before the cast) The branch was not big enough to worrie me, i would muscle it out of it. Well i work the bait to where it is now directly under the branch strait down. So playing around like i did when i was younger fishing for bluegill/bass i wanted to see if i could have a fish hit it doing the vertical jig.

2 secounds later, a huge boil and the branch gets pulled down fast, i set the hook only to move the branch further down twords the water. So i reel up and do it again, then again. finally on a power run from the fish did my line come out.

Now comes the fun part, in panic mode i try to gracefuly move myself from atop of my rock to where i could unhook the fish. So i go to my plan that i had, my "in case of fish plan" to climb down to get to another rock. Well i must have left out the part of an unhappy fish pulling and taking away from my attation to my stepping location. Well when all else fails gravity gets you there the fastest, i kinda landed on my feet enough not to be embarassed ( i was alone mind you).

So i get the fish to me only to find my tools are back on top of the rock. SO i used a trick an old Indian taught me, i pulled out my micro leatherman (yup all mighty 2.5 inches of it) well my skilled hands made fast work of the trebles (OK, it took a few attempts but the fish never left the water) I then realeased a fat 41". It was a good day.

For having an aweful spring, terrible, just no good. i came away with the best musky season yet for me. (3rd full season chase musky, still kinda new at it) With a few more trip left in me till 2011, i have 16 landed this year. Im all smiles lookin to next year.

Merry Christmas

allegheny river kid
12-24-2010, 03:04 PM
A few stories come to mind for me this this season. The first and foremost would have to be my first full day of musky fishing for the season. It was good friday and i was fishing with a great friend and his son. We were fishing in his boat and had spent the better part of the day washing lures over some fishy looking spots with nothing to show. It was very very warm for the beginning of april and we were baking in the sun, we had decided a few more passes and we were calling it for the day. I had just cleaned my rods and sat back in the seat when my side rod starting zipping line out, by the time i picked it up the fish was gone, 5 seconds later while the rod was in my hand the line started ripping again and the fish came out of the water, at this point my knees started shaking as i knew we had a big fish. I slowly brought the fish to net fully knowing we had one shot and that the fish wasn't hooked well at all. My friend did a spectacular job and the fish found the bottom of the net, by the time we went to unhook the fish the wiley lure had fallen out of the fish and was in the net. A few measurements and a few quick photos the largest musky i have ever landed and possibly will ever land was released to fight again another day. The memories from this day will live with me forever. I couldn't have shared a more fitting day with a great friend!

That being said i had a great season, didn't fish much this spring and not too much this fall but had a blast this summer. 36 muskies found the bottom of the net for me this season. Half from PA waters mainly the lower allegheny and the rest from one trip to St. Clair and a few days on chatauqua lake. Saw lots of muskies follow lures, managed to catch a few and shared alot of good days on the water with friends. To me thats what its all about! Can't wait for the spring thaw to get back on the water, til then it looks like i'll be hitting the hard water if i want to fish.
Merry Christmas to all!!
Joel