PDA

View Full Version : Who's Trophy?

Colonel K
12-27-2010, 07:12 PM
This forum is whipping up a "Musky Fever" in me that has been latent for some 30 years, since I caught my first and only Musky. I never could get anyone to devote the time and effort to go after them. It's great to see how many folks actually do go after them. I do, however, have a question that may upset some folks. I just read about the "McNair Musky" and don't understand something. It seems to me the Captain chose the place to fish, how to fish it, what to fish with, and provided all the expertise; McNair reeled it in. In one article it boasted he was 30 minutes into his Musky fishing career when he "caught" it. Seems to me the captain should have the record... McNair was an active witness. To me, this is akin to the TV hunting shows where they let a 10 year-old pull the trigger on a giant buck he had nothing to do with locating... just doesn't seem right to me.

lowbidder
12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
I know that if I caught a record while fishing with a guide, I would give all the props to the guide for helping, but my name would go on the list!

Red... you taking notes? Hahaha!!

Anzomcik
12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I agree, but thats is not how it will go in the books. But again i aree with your points. When i troll, (At most 20% of my musky fishing) It is always a boat fish.

lowbidder
12-27-2010, 09:35 PM
It's a moot point for me. I don't think I could bring myself to kill a fish that big and therefore would not qualify for a record anyway.

I remember a thread from last year about "what would you do...". I think I would weight it, release the fish, tell everyone about it and let the controversy begin :)

ThreeRiversEsox
12-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Kinda shows you why so many people were pissed off when he came to the shows signing autographs wearing his shirt of sponsors...

Red Childress
12-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I agree with the "boat fish" mentality. Even if you are just fishing with a buddy, your buddy will likely help you land any fish whether it be during the decision making process in where to fish, how fast to fish or what color/type of bait to use. The only way to say you are 100% responsible for any fish you catch is if you are using YOUR bait, on YOUR spot while also netting the fish by YOURSELF.

If anyone was even partly responsible for getting YOUR fish in the net, it was a "team" fish, in my opinion.