PDA

View Full Version : Ice Conditions

Battler
01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Heading up to TFF January 20-23 and wondering what the ice conditions are now and what anyone thinks it will be like then?

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
01-06-2011, 12:00 AM
There are 10-15 inches of ice. The rain on Dec.30th and 31st knocked down the snow. The cold set in on Jan 1st to date with highs in the single digits to low teens and lows below zero, so the flowage is making ice. It has been quite slick out there and creepers are suggested. We are expecting 3-6 inches of lake effect snow over the next day or two and that should make travel easier. I wish I had the crystal ball to tell you the ice conditions on Jan. 20th, but I can tell you that there is no significant warm-up predicted in the long term forecast.

Enjoy your trip and good luck.

www.flambeauvista.com

Cabins with Tip-up Views.

Battler
01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks, we are looking forward to the trip. It is our first year coming up to TFF ice fishing. I beleive we are staying near your resort in one of Northland Lodging"s cabins.

01-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Trucks are now driving on the ice without issues. Unfortunately, the fish bite has been slow. Hopefully with the low front coming in on Tuesday, fishing will pick up.

www.flambeauvista.com

Cabins with Tip-up Views.

Bobber Down
01-11-2011, 11:00 PM
I plan to try some fishing again next month. This will be my second time to TFF in the winter. Are there any areas to avoid driving a vehicle between Fisherman’s Landing and the Townline / Horseshoe Lake area? Any problems between the channel where C1 and C2 is? The water does not seem to be fast flowing there but just want to make sure the trip is ‘uneventful.’

Thanks in advance for any replies.

01-12-2011, 01:33 AM
We just had a meeting of the TFFA tonight and the guide reports were that there was no less than 10" of ice found on the TFF and most ice was in the 12-15" range. This is no guarantee of ice conditions over every area of this large body of water as conditions may change and not every inch of it may be checked by anglers. Please use caution and your best judgment.

Trucks continue to drive across the TFF and there has not been any reports of problems in travel. The recent snowfall has made snomobile conditions far better and the groomers are out to make them even better. Fishing is now again picking up with the low pressure fronts with new snow rolling in through the weekend.

Don't be afraid of the winter. Come on up and embrace it while having some fun.

www.flambeauvista.com

www.turtleflambeauflowage.com

BlueRanger
01-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Bobber Down, I've done a lot of hiking and snowshoeing around that part of the lake, and there can be a surprising amount of current flowing through the narrow part of that C1-C2 channel and over the rock dam in winter. It's not uncommon to see patches of open water in both those areas later in the winter, so I'd be extremely careful driving through them as there may be some thin spots.

Bobber Down
01-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Hey Blue Ranger. Thanks for the help. It looks like I will play it safe and avoid those areas. The winter time trips on this body of water are a whole new thing for me. Thanks again.

mooselegs
02-12-2011, 12:59 PM
i'm planning a brief ice fishing trip to the tff this week. my plan is to head-up on wed. feb 16th and stay a few days.

i plan to drive on from springstead landing. i do have a 4x4 and would appreciate any update relative to driving condition on the ice and ice thickness.

thank you.

mooselegs