PDA

View Full Version : Asian Carp heading our way

Red Childress
01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
A friend of mine just sent this link to me:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/other/outdoors/article306522.ece

Joe M
01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Great, Just what we need. You knew it was coming sooner or later. I guess we willl be trolling with hard hats on.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
01-10-2011, 05:00 PM
well if it's legal I'll be puttin around with my 12 gauge, it'll be alot cheaper than buying clay pigeons. I was wanting to take up bowfishing now I have a very good reason....

lowbidder
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
McDunn,
I'm with you on that one. I've got a 28ga Berretta O/U that doesn't get near enough use. I tried bowfishing once last summer. Lots of misses, but it was still a blast.

Do musky eat asian carp? Maybe the answer is more muskies :)
All joking aside... this is a very serious issue. I wish I could attend that meeting and learn some more about them.

Larry Jones
01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong,but the only route for asian carp via Allegheney River water shed to Lake Erie would be through Lime Lake.Southern out flow goes to Ishua Creek then ends up flowing into Allegheney River.The Northern flow from Lime Lake flows down Lime Lake Outlet to Elton Creek to the Cat on to Lake Erie. The carp would have travel a long ways from the Ohio River to get into Lime Lake,then get out of Lime Lake going north,then go over the water falls in Zoar Valley and on to Lake Erie.The Asian Carp will travel accross the Great Lakes from one Lake another soon enough,way before there is a chance they go through Lime Lake.If they get to the base of Kinsua Dam I would like to think they would have a hard time going any further up stream with that out flow water pressure,they would never get to Lime Lake.Allegheney River by Olean,NY may be the new musky hot spot in a few years!
http://www.conewangocreek.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/CC_Watershed-Map.png

Red Childress
01-13-2011, 02:14 PM
If they come up the Mississippi (which is also very likely) then the Ohio then the Allegheny River they will have access to the following:

Cassadaga Lakes (via Conewango and then Cassadaga Creek heading North) will be infested too. The headwaters of French Creek passes under 1-86 near Findley (if I am not mistaken) and hits the Allegheny River in Franklin. The other main trib of the Allegheny near Warren is the Brokenstraw Creek which hits the Little Brokenstraw and continues West to the Corry area. These carp will swim up a ditch if there is 6 inches of water.

The final outcome of this is going to be very interesting.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
01-14-2011, 09:54 AM
You would think that as advanced our society is that we could come up with a solution to take care of this invasive species. Something needs to be done and soon I hope.

RapRunR
01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
This is a devastating species and it's really scary if they ever get up into the Great Lakes. Crazy dangerous jumping fish they are. Maybe we should start a business fishing for them. That's what i read some have done. We'll never get rid of all of them though.