PDA

View Full Version : Twofold question...

ttabaleulb
01-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Have any of you guys been to the Allegheny Sport Show? And if so, did you find anything worth while for the Musky Addicted?

Also, have any of you taken any early season trips to any of the "Southern" lakes like Cave Run? Just wondering if a trip in say March might be worth it or if I just need wait for the ice to thaw around here. My preference is to throw flies, but I have absolutely NO problem throwin conventional gear either. I'm just sick of Winter already!!! LMAO

Jay

allegheny river kid
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Its been a few years since i've been the Allegheny sport show and what i remember there was very little geared towards musky fishing. I think Crash Mullins guide service and Leo lures were the only booths that i can honestly remember. I can't speak for an early spring trip to Cave Run but i went in may a few years ago and had a great time. If your serious about booking a trip i would go to the Butler show and talk to Gregg Thomas or Tony Grant. They will be able to help you out.

Pescatore
01-19-2011, 09:49 PM
I went to the Cave in mid-March of 2005 and we caught 3 small muskies in three 10 hour days of fishing. Our biggest was 35", but someone reported a 42" that weekend. The only problem you'll have is the weather. We hit a cold front dead on and it was tough fishin. The crawfish color 4" rattle trap was the bait that caught all 3 fish.

Red Childress
01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Anytime you are fishing (especially on a different body of water that holds big fish and with a climate 25 degrees warmer than PA has in March with the good possibility of hitting a pre-spawn bite), it is "worth it" in my book. :)

Just load up the car and find I-64.