PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird 385ci review

YooperTroll
01-21-2011, 09:23 AM
I just bought a Humminbird 385ci (ice fishing version) after doing a lot of research. I wanted something I could use year around--and I didn't want to buy separate flasher and fish-finder units. While I don't have a lot of past experience with finders and flashers, I've got to believe that Humminbird has packed about as much into this unit that can be found anywhere else in that price point ($400-$450). My research initially led me to the conclusion, and so far the performance of the unit confirms that.

--Color
--Gps
--SD slot for mapping
--Flasher mode and a gaggle of other features (split screen modes, etc.).
--Dual (20/60) cone.

I realize the digital flasher isn't a "true" flasher (as purists will point out), but for me not ever having used a flasher before and using this thing for the first time yesterday, it worked great. I don't know a fraction of everything about this thing yet, but I was able to work the flasher yesterday a mere few hours out of the box and fine-tune it on the ice, watch my jig, watch fish react to it, etc.

I also realize some will question the transducer size vis-a-vis flasher use, but this thing worked great yesterday.

For another $67, I'll buy the transom-mount transducer this spring--and viola! A great soft-water unit as well.

I'm very happy so far with this thing--especially in that price point.

tipup_time
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
maybe i should sell my 55 and pick one up.

YooperTroll
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
maybe i should sell my 55 and pick one up.

I guess it depends. The 55 has of course a bigger screen and it's a true flasher (as opposed to flasher simulator). The 55 also has the 19 and 9 degree cones on the transducer (the 385 20/60).

Do folks use that 9 degree cone much around here? Don't know. It seems to me the 20 is fine for most water around here--and the 60 is pretty nice for the shallow stuff as well.

I bought it because I do more spring/summer/fall fishing (total) than I do ice fishing. But I ice fish enough that I wanted a flasher of some sort...but not enough that I wanted to buy a dedicated flasher just for ice fishing (if that makes sense).

They also package the 385ci with a 55 in an all-around combo package (something like $899).

I think this one unit does a good job of letting people have their cake and eat it too--one unit for all-year fishing.

tomjohn
01-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Makes sense to me...