PDA

View Full Version : Hello

EMA-SON
02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi all. I'm just joining the site, but not sure I'm in the right place. Is anyone else being kept up at night with dreams of hook sets?

Anyway, I'm a multi species fisherman and roam the Allegheny from PGH to Warren and all the lakes in-between. Been chasing muskys for about 4 years (since I got my boat), and have yet to land one. To go with my unsuccessfulness , my wife caught one while we were out 2 years ago. Again, just saying hi and trying to learn...Bryan

Red Childress
02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Hey Bryon,

Looks like you fixed the logging-in problem on your own. Glad to have you aboard!

What kind of river boat are you running??

EMA-SON
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I have a puke green, 15', 75 tri-haul with a 25hp outboard; although I act like I have a yacht. I totally gutted and customized it when I first got it. I also made a mast/planner set-up and got a downrigger.

I live in PGH but grew up fishing with chest waders in the Middle Allegheny and Presque Isle. When I run my boat, it is either in the Lower Allegheny River or in PA lakes/reservoirs. Not knowing the channel well enough and not having a jet rig, I stick with my waders when I fish the Middle Allegheny.

ttabaleulb
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Welcome Bryan.

Oh yeah, I'm sure all of us on the board are havin those dreams. Me especially since I am in the middle of a real hook-setting nightmare with the flyrod. LOL

Theres a great crew that frequent this message board. I'm startin my 4th year chasin Musky and they have been there for advice/help from day one.

I'm starting 2011 with the positive mindset that I'm gonna land more fish than I lose on the fly this year. With that in mind, lets hope 2011 gets you that first one in the net and you just roll from there!!

EMA-SON
02-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm all about the positive mindset and I think this will be my year. The first few years were info gathering years, but now it's game time.

A little story on how I got hooked...The first year I had my boat I was still a "whatever hits" fisherman and was throwing a hot n tot at the rez. I had a 6 1/2ft rod w/12lb test. I casted at what I thought was a bass breaking water and almost got the rod pulled out of my hand. This fish pulled the drag out like I hooked up with a train. I fought it for maybe 15 seconds, saw it flash a few feet under water, and out came my lure from the water. I was still in shock when I saw that the hooks on my hot n tot were broken off. I've caught some big pike, but I've never felt someting hit that hard. Who would think the fish I didn't catch would be the one I will never forget.

ttabaleulb
02-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Cool story. Its funny how these fish have a tendency to leave you with one hell of a lasting impression. And those are just the ones that we don't land. LOL

My brother and I started talkin about giving Musky a try a few years back. Up to that point, we were just mainly into trout and bass. So, we booked a trip with Red and we've never been the same since. LOL We spent that Winter getting gear and a boat or two and now theres Musky on the mind 24/7! I still "force" myself to go after smallies and trout now and then, but thats only if I have no way to get to Musky waters.

I hope that groundhog is right and we have an early Spring cause I'm ready to go right now!! LOL

muskyjerk
02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Sounds like you cover the same area I do. As far south as the Point and north as Warren on the Allegheny and a few lakes north of I-80.
A trip with Red solved my Middle Allegheny musky fishing. Trolling in the lower Allegheny has worked for me. Four musky catches while trolling for walleyes and such in my first year w/ my kayak turned me into a Muskyjerk. Three years since fishing for muskies and when I fish for other species I wonder often think I'd rather be fishing for muskies.
Welcome to the site. A great group of guys who know humility (sp.?) from the fish we love.

EMA-SON
02-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Muskyjerk,

Exactly my area plus Presque Isle and 1 trip/year to Kettle Creek. I didn't happen to see you taking your kayak out below the 40th street bridge one evening last summer? Red kayak w/rod holders and an anchor pulley system set up?

muskyjerk
02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I've got a yellow wilderness systems pungo. Rod holders and lots of other fun accessories. I usually hit Presque Isle a few spring/fall times myself for steelhead, pike, bass and anything else that will take. I've not fished for the muskies there yet but I have been putting together a mental plan for such a trip.