PDA

View Full Version : PMTT events

fishondixon
02-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Anyone ever fish in any of the PMTT events?
My brother and I received entry into the Cave Run Lake event, the middle of April. Xmas gifts from the wifes! We're not sure what to expect. Other than fishing a couple of the local tournaments at Pymatuning, we've never fished any of these competitive events.
We are planning on going a couple of days early to pre-fish. We cast 99% of the time. (sticker on the boat reads "trolling doesn't count!")
Last week Keyes Outdoors had last years event from Cave Run on their show, looks interesting.

long time reader, first time poster.
(another from the State College area)

toothyfishman
02-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Sweet gift!!! They did good on that one.

Never fished it but if I was you I'd go back through all the past year post on both Crash Mullins and Tony Grant's sites and read any/all of the postings around that time of year. I was planning on fishing it myself and that was what I was doing.

Most of what I read it's mainly rattle baits and backs of bays, any where the shad are at. I'm sure others will chime in that have gone and may help more but I would say I learned some just from the reading I did. I still would of shown up to the lake "lost" as you guys probably will feel but I felt at least I did some type of homework.

Seems like the PMTT has the same few stops for the past few years so the guys who fish it every year would have an advantage for sure. I wish they bounce it around some....some over here towards the east coast would be good!!!!

Are you going to the Bulter show? Maybe you can poke around there and ask a few questions from the guys out that way. I wouldn't think they would feel harmed by a few pointers to someone who has never been there, might be more than willing to help out. Maybe leave the PMTT out of the conversation HA HA!!!! Just a springtime fishing outing.

fish N ski
02-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I have a cave run lake map that I have no idea where it came from. If you would need it or want it, it is yours. I don't have any plans on making a trip there anytime soon within the next 20 years. Might show a few things that a navionics map chip doesn't show?

fish N ski
02-06-2011, 02:18 PM
got your address. I will mail you the map this week.

Ivan
02-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I fished cave run two weekends about 10yrs ago. One of those weekends was for the PMTT. I caught one muskie pre-fishing and we caught a bass in the tourney. That was it. The tournament was very well run, though and a good time.

There is a big weed flat across from the launch called the Zilpo? flats. Seems to be a good spot. Other than that, you are looking at fishing flooded timber in the "hollors". The lake splits into two arms not too far around the bend below those flats. One arm has a marked channel with some hollors off of it. The other arm is unmarked, so you will run the risk of hitting stumps and tree tops.

Cave run is definitely more of a casting lake with all the flooded timber. It's hard to troll shallow among all that standing timber. Probably should focus on those hollors. Cast small rattlebaits, gliders, jerks, spinnerbaits, and maybe some rubber. If the water is high, fish even shallower, and tight to bank cover. Prepare yourself for fishing muddy water also.

Good Luck.
Adam A.

Red Childress
02-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Hey Adam.......sorry for the correction but the actual hillbilly spelling is "hollers" instead of "hollors". I am an authority on this subject because I lived in one for 22 years. :)

Ivan
03-11-2011, 08:35 AM
I mentioned high, muddy water. I saw on another site that the Cave is 10ft over summer pool right now. Probably time to fish the boat launch parking lots.