PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps something good happening?

Percidae Pounder
02-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I used to live in Rapid River and fished Little Bay hard. I've noticed a change over the past 7 years to present time. Fellas are reporting and proudly sharing their photos of trophy sized perch, pike, and walleye. :D
I've especially noticed an increase in these older-aged perch class.

The interesting part is fisherman are reporting the return of the smelt. Guys are catching them through the ice while jigging and walleyes stomachs are full of them. Over the past few years you could hardly find a smelt up a river during spawning season! Also, there are reports of the local Ford River salmon fishery in a decline? Granted Fairport salmonids seem to be doing quite well!

So, in LBDN, less salmon equals more smelt. More smelt equals more walleye forage which equals trophy walleye. More smelt equals less perch becoming walleye forage. Which equals older, bigger perch. Between the diversity of native and non-native forage the pike and walleye are feeding well, living older and getting wall mounter sized. Now if we could just get a handle on the zebra mussles we'd be doing well! Keep in mind folks if the Asian Carp get passed the electro-weir we're gonna have to start over again!

I'm curious, especially from you native-long time LBDN fisherman. What do you think is going on in the cycle the bay is in present time?

tipup_time
02-08-2011, 09:01 PM
its all about food

YooperTroll
02-08-2011, 09:42 PM
its all about food

...and nets...and no nets.

walleyemick
02-09-2011, 07:27 AM
interesting thoughts and makes sense to me. how long are these big fish going to last with the removal of the slot, last year was the best year i have ever had and best i have heard for big fish, then at the end of the year they get rid of the slot. You finally have evidence that something is working so you get rid of it.

YooperTroll
02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm no fish biologist...but it seems to me that sport fishing on a great lake wouldn't significantly impact a fishery--regardless of the rules or regulations in place (or not in place). Small streams and lakes? Yeah, probably.

I think slot limits are a feel-good thing that really has no bearing on the overall fishery. Again, I could be wrong. Just my opinion.

The bigger issues are legal (and illegal) netting and natural diseases and predation.

Even if you don't agree with me, no worries: I'm certainly no threat to the walleye population, given my fishing "abilities"--lol.

DooFighter
02-09-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm no fish biologist...but it seems to me that sport fishing on a great lake wouldn't significantly impact a fishery--regardless of the rules or regulations in place (or not in place). Small streams and lakes? Yeah, probably.

I think slot limits are a feel-good thing that really has no bearing on the overall fishery. Again, I could be wrong. Just my opinion.

The bigger issues are legal (and illegal) and natural diseases and predation.

Even if you don't agree with me, no worries: I'm certainly no threat to the walleye population, given my fishing "abilities"--lol.

I agree on all counts.

tipup_time
02-09-2011, 01:27 PM
coming from northern MN where there are slot limits and the normal limit is only 1 over 20. I can say that it all depends. I have seen the slot produce results on winnibigoshish and leech. but there is a problem with slots imo. after a while, you reduce trophy potential and you have an abundance of slot fish (17-26). so you can go fishing all day and not come home with a meal. thats still alot of fun but i think there is a better way. I believe the best way to do it would be to allow only 1 over 23.

randy&maryjo troll jig pitchers
02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
fished the bay for the last 18yrs. Loved the area so we bought a place on the east bank and come to it monthly. Fishing has changed, 15yrs ago tons of 16-18 inchers--seemed to steadyly drop off to only 12-14 inchers or 10lbers---3 or 3 yrs ago it was tough for the average joe to catch fish--last summer caught a ton of 16-18 inchers again--plus pearch have picked up big time. I consider myself an ok walleye guy and know the bay pretty well but would love to here the opionion of an old boy-someone who has fished the bay for 40yrs--what have the cycles been--did the nets really hurt things?--did they net pearch? Love the bay and area--retire south?--not a chance

nitecrawler128
02-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I thought a person could only keep 1 walleye over 23" from LBDN. Did they remove this restriction? Not that it matters to me, they're not as good to eat when they get that big anyway, I just let them go. If they removed this restriction...why?? Last year was my first year fishing LBDN, and I was MORE than impressed with the size of the walleyes (especially in late November/early December).

duckiller2
02-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Slot limit Came off on 4-1-2010 at the end of season basiclly (season ended on 3-15-10) of course walleye did not open till 5-15-2010 but when it did the slot was no more

Rich Heffelbower
02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I am from down state, but have fished LBDN the last two winters. From watching a camera, I have seen how the Walleye have adapted to the Zebra mussel piles on the bottom. Gobies, are using the Zebra mussle piles to forage and hide within. Walleye will come in along the bottom and circle the zebra piles, until the gobies pop up from foraging and Bingo, they become the next meal. Has anyone else watched this?

YooperTroll
02-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I am from down state, but have fished LBDN the last two winters. From watching a camera, I have seen how the Walleye have adapted to the Zebra mussel piles on the bottom. Gobies, are using the Zebra mussle piles to forage and hide within. Walleye will come in along the bottom and circle the zebra piles, until the gobies pop up from foraging and Bingo, they become the next meal. Has anyone else watched this?

Very very interesting. Thanks for sharing that observation.