PDA

View Full Version : upper or lower

tipup_time
02-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Im going to be up the next three weekends until season closes or ice becomes too dangerous to drive out on. my first two trips to the bay yielded me no walleyes. fished 2nd reef, center reef and the north end. is it better to fish the upper bay or the lower bay if walleyes are my target? does one or the other have better trophy potential? thanks

slammer
02-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey Tipup Time,

You can win or loose either way. Much of it depends on how portable you are and how hard you try. Being that your "going to be up" I'm assuming your from out of the area and gonna have a portable shack of some sort , so that in itself gives you more options. If your looking for trophy potential, as I do this time of year, it's probably gonna be some slow fishing , but quality fish. I personally don't see more trophy fish coming from the upper vs. the lower bay. I would stick to a game plan and hope for the best. This time of year , deeper water, especially mud flats produce some pigs cruising the flats. Remember, it's not fast and furious , but your odds of getting a pig is better IMO in the deeper waters. If your night fishing , I would move up into shallower water and onto the reefs or a shelf off a break. If your not marking fish for an hour or two or have no action on tip ups , don't be afraid to move and try something else. If your fishing south of gladstone , I would stick close to the breaks early and late and move out onto the flats during the day and try to avoid fishing pressure. I have a feeling it's gonna be busy the next month out there, especially with easy travel with the lack of snow.
Just my thoughts, hope it helps. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Slammer!!!