PDA

View Full Version : GPS/Locator Advice

RossL
03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I am going to be replacing my 12 year old locator this spring. I have narrowed it down to a few Humminbird options:

788ci 5" screen, down imaging, ~$800
798ci SI, 5" screen, side and down imaging, ~$1050
858c, 7" screen, NO side or down imaging, $1000
898c SI, 7" screen, side and down imaging, ~$1500

Do anyone have any experience with any of these models?

Any advantage/disadvantage compared to Lowrance?

I do all of my fishing on the flowage. Is side imaging useful on the flowage? Useful enough to justify the major cost difference?

Has anyone used down imaging? Is it useful for the flowage?

The 898c SI is probably out of my budget so my leading two candidates are the 858c and 798ci SI right now. Any advice??

Thanks in advance.

Ross L.

Ty Sennett
03-25-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm not for or against side imaging. I've seen and used it quite a bit but don't have it on my boat. I didn't put it on my boat because I could just see myself driving around for days on end looking at my side imaging and getting nothing done as far as catching fish or work around the house. I would treat it as a toy not a tool to use to catch fish. If you fish crappie on the Chip it is an invaluable tool to find cribs but for muskie it will help but not be the cure all. The down imaging however is really cool because it elliminates the problems that a lot of people have with trying to get their sonar dialed in to where they actually know what is below them. Down imaging takes the guesswork out of using your sonar.

Maybe Corey Meyer could tell you more since he has the Humminbird side imaging on his boat and is on the Chip a ton.

I guess if you can afford it get it but it's not going to be something that you have to have.

muskymeyer
03-25-2011, 12:48 PM
I have the Humminbird 997 SI Combo with the navionics platinum map chip. I am not sure how much help I will have for your questions. For a Lowrance/Humminbird comparison and down imaging I don't have anything. On the side imaging topic and if it is worth it I would say for me it has been without a doubt worth every dollar spent. I had been fishing the flowage since the mid 80's and after getting the side imaging it was like being on a new lake. Like Ty said I spend alot of time scanning areas looking for the spot on a spot or just motoring around looking at the sonar. It helps to find weed adges and stay a certain distance away or the same way for fishing river channel edges. I basically only fish muskies but have used the side imaging to find cribs and brush piles the same way a person fishing for walleyes or crappies would. In the fall I have actually seen schools of crappies on the side imaging as well.
It is a great tool in helping you to know the body of water you are fishing better.
Hope this helps.

Corey Meyer