PDA

View Full Version : Springtime Trolling

deadeye
03-24-2011, 10:17 AM
What are the best options for Spring time musky trolling? Lure size/type, speed of troll, amount of line out and any other options.......etc.
Deadeye

james
03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
I think alot of that depends on the body of water you're fishing. i like smaller baits/slower speeds/shallower water where I fish. But many good fishermen do the oppsite and are very successful. just my 2 cents.

Anzomcik
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
The new musky hunter i got in the mail yesterday has a great article in it by Jim Bortz. That would be a great point to start with. But like James said alot of people do alot of things different and have great luck with that.

Ivan
03-24-2011, 02:35 PM
I just did a presentation at Cleveland Chapter of MI's banquet on spring trolling. Spring will cover prespawn, spawn, and postspawn. Think about what areas muskies will spawn in and fish those areas or close to them. In general terms...I have success trolling 5-6" cranks, 3.8-5mph (faster in warmer water), with anywhere from just the leader to 40 feet of line out (depending on how deep I want my baits to run). Spring is one of my favorite times to fish for muskies.
Adam Andresky

Ivan
03-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Here's a pre-spawn super fatty from about this time of year that Dad got.

Red Childress
03-25-2011, 06:53 AM
That poor fish looks like she has not eaten for at least 5 minutes. :)