PDA

View Full Version : Peacock Bass Hunting

Red Childress
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Heading to Mexico tomorrow to (hopefully) chase some Peacock bass, if there are larger ones near our resort. If no large Peacock's, I might switch to Tarpon if not too expensive. Internet will be very expensive from my Blackberry but I will try to check in from time to time on the resort's computer.

Good Luck on the water!

HD Fatboy
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Good Luck!

Anzomcik
04-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Thats would be a blast! Good luck

ttabaleulb
04-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Holy crap Red, I am so jealous!!! The Peacock Bass is the last fish on my "I need to catch" list and Tarpon are in my top 2 fish caught in my life. I can't wait to hear the details of that trip. And man, if you can swing the Tarpon trip, you will not be dissapointed!!

Best of luck!!

Jay

Red Childress
04-08-2011, 01:44 PM
The jumbo Peacock's are further South lingering in the Amazon River basin but I hope to befriend one of the Cancun locals who may know where some decent sized fish are without having my head separated from my shoulders in the process. I am not really interested in 2-5 pounders which you can get in Florida/Texas.

Obtaining "real" information has been pretty tough so I will have to infiltrate the town population and see what I can come up with. Having a wife who is a Spanish teacher may come in real handy this week. :)

bdiggy
04-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Nice man! Best of luck on the hunt for a big one

Red Childress
04-17-2011, 07:38 PM
I did not get to chase the Peacock's but did catch mackerel, barracuda, and had 4 tarpon 4 hooked up but lost all 4 of them. The mackerel ate my lunch and then proceeded to break me off after stripping about 20 feet of line and jumping like a sailfish multiple times.

The tarpon were in the 14-20 pound range. They had huge power for sure kinda like a fresh steelie but were very hard to get hooked. We were able to sight fish for them and we used saltwater sardines (live) with no weight and 25 pound flouro leader with 10lb. mono. My guide and I caught them in the mangroves as the tide was rising just like I had seen on multiple TV shows. The big tarpon move into that area in late-summer and the peacock bass were 5-hours inland in the freshwater (or sweetwater as the natives call it).

Caught a few Crevele as well also.

Great trip!

ttabaleulb
04-18-2011, 09:04 AM
That does sound like an awesome trip!! Those tarpon are VERY difficult to get to the boat, no matter what size they are. Thats why the guide told Jeff and I to go play the lottery the same day that we caught ours. LOL Man, I gotta make sure I get my trip to the Keys set up for next Spring!!

lowbidder
04-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Those mackeral will wear you out on light tackle. The sharks like them too...

Larry Jones
04-21-2011, 08:02 AM
I offer Peacock Bass Trips to remote region of the headwaters of the Amazon River in Guyana, South America in January,Febuary or March.