PDA

View Full Version : Lake Dock-Pier Length

The Frog caster
04-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi, does anyone out there know of any State requirements regarding dock lengths from shore. We are in the process of building a dock for our Lake home in Mercer. I was told by a dealer in the area that there are no specific requirements as long as a person uses common sense and doesn't
extend a dock to far out and create a hazzard for other users of the lake. We plan to extend 42' from shore. To me that seems reasonable. I did look on-line but didn't find anything specific to length requirments. Our home is not on a "point", but rather a straight run of shoreline approx. 1,000 feet both sides if that makes any difference. Any opinions or words of wisdom from members would be appreciated. Best Regards, Larry

JayandCade
04-16-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't think he is correct. I was told you can go out as far as you need to hit 3' of water to dock a boat or use a lift. So if it takes 40' to hit a 3 foot depth you are ok. Here is the link to the wis regs.
http://dnr.wi.gov/waterways/checklists/checklist_pierorwharf.pdf

The Frog caster
04-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Hello Jay and Cade, Thanks for providing the Wis. DNR regulation link. Our old pier is being replaced by the new one I'm constructing at our machine shop. I didn't want to create something beyond the boundries of the law. Your help is really appreciated and I wish I could have found the proper link myself.......... again, many thanks to you !!!! Kind Regards, Larry F.