PDA

View Full Version : Walleye at the falls

Ruff Fish
04-23-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm kind of ignorant of this....

So I think I've read in the past that people actually go to check out the walleye at the waterfall at LOTF Campground in spring.

I'm up there more at this time of year now... So could someone enlighten me...

What should I expect to see? When should one go "look" to see anything? Where, exactly, do you look...right at the bottom of the falls? Near shore further down? Will you see anything, or are they just "there"...?

Is this like the sturgeon spawning on the Wolf River?

Did I totally misunderstand what I read?

Any info is always appreciated.

Ruff

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
04-23-2011, 11:11 AM
There is an observation platform for you to stand on. Go after dark and bring a strong flashlight. Shine it down into the water and the light will reflect off their eyes. There usually is a volunteer walleye watcher at the sight to guard against temptation.

Ruff Fish
04-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks Scott,

So, are they moving in already? Or is it too early?

04-23-2011, 12:06 PM
The males are staging below the falls with a few of the larger females present per the report I heard from Thursday night. Kathy and I will be checking it out tonight. Mother Nature treated us to 3-4 inches of snow last night, so it should be interesting.

BlueRanger
04-23-2011, 12:38 PM
If you click on my photo link below and look in the album called "Wild Things," there are a couple photos that I shot a few years ago from the rocks just below the falls. The opening scene on my virtual tour was taken from the viewing platform Scott mentioned.

http://tours.grandviewvirtual.com/12204

If you hit it on a good night, it's definitely something worth seeing at least once. Show up just as it's getting dark and you'll probably see a few big muskies surfacing in there, too.

Ruff Fish
04-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks Blue and Scott!

I'll be up working on "The Haven" next weekend...maybe I'll get to walk over at the right time.

Nice pictures, Blue!

05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Kathy and I stopped at Lake of the Falls at about 10:00 pm on Saturday night. We saw a few small males and one large female. I think the spawning run is over for the year. Be safe and best of luck to all this Saturday.

Ruff Fish
05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I looked Saturday night, much earlier than you did Scott.

Didn't see much of anything when I was there. I did get to see a guy fishing off of the observation deck, right next to the 'no fishing' sign. He caught a small walleye, which he released. I was still kind of in shock to see him when somebody went up and told him he couldn't fish there.

I'm surprised that he would believe somebody telling him, if he's not gonna believe the sign......

The water sure is movin' though.....