PDA

View Full Version : Perch tournament

The Bait Shop Guy
05-02-2011, 05:03 AM
The Bay de Noc Great Lakes Sport Fishermen will be holding it's annual Ice Out Perch Tournament on Saturday, May 7th 9am to 2pm. Entry fee $30 per boat.

Come enjoy a great day of perch fishing with friends and family!

RULES

All participants must be members of the BDNGLSF.

Boat inspection starts at 7:30 am in the Kipling boat launch.

Rules meeting to start at 8:30 with boat launch to follow.

You may use any boat launch you want, but you must stay in the waters of Little Bay de Noc (old slot limit boundaries.)

Entry fee is $30 per boat. Fish by yourself, with a friend, or the whole family. Total number of fishermen per boat must not exceed the USCG capacity rating for the boat.

Weigh-in will be in the parking lot of the Shorewood Motel (across from the Kipling boat launch.) You must be in the parking lot by 2pm. Any teams arriving after 2pm will be disqualified.

Each team will weigh their 10 largest perch. 80% payback to the top 3 teams.

Proceeds to benefit the BDNGLSF to help fund local fishing projects.

Any questions, contact tournament director Chris Wahl @ 786-1488 or 786-8634.

The Bait Shop Guy
05-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Forgot to mention entry forms are available at Bay View Bait, Bayshore Bait, and Sal-mar Resort.

Fished south of Gladstone this afternoon. Same story as the last couple trips - marking lots of fish, but they're slow to bite. Between two of us we kept 12 perch and a rockbass. Also landed several walleyes and suckers. Caught most of the fish on wigglers, but some of the larger ones were on minnows.

perch"n"eyes
05-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Hey Chris how do i or where do i join the bdnsf club , if you could please pm me sum info i would appreciate it thanks Dave

nitecrawler128
05-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey Chris,
What do you guys have over there for water temps? Were the walleyes you caught pre or post spawn? Thanx

The Bait Shop Guy
05-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey Chris how do i or where do i join the bdnsf club , if you could please pm me sum info i would appreciate it thanks Dave

We have the membership forms available at the bait shop. Otherwise you can include your contact info on the entry form and pay your membership dues along with the entry fee if you want to fish the tournament.

Hey Chris,
What do you guys have over there for water temps? Were the walleyes you caught pre or post spawn? Thanx

Water temp was around 45 degrees. Most of the walleyes I've caught so far have been under 12 inches, (non-spawners.) I did get one about 18 inches last night that was spawned out. Some of the perch still had eggs.

springfield
05-05-2011, 12:51 PM
So how did the Perch tourny end up, or did the wind keep everone off the water? It was really gettin it most of the time.

perch"n"eyes
05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
tourney is on saturday the 7th

springfield
05-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Man, I'm loosing it, lost a week somewhere! Good luck to all. I'll be up this weekend to see the grandbaby, maybe I'll check it out myself.

The Bait Shop Guy
05-07-2011, 05:23 AM
I'll be taking entries at the Kipling lunch today until 8:30.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TODAY!

The Bait Shop Guy
05-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Well, after 2 years of canceled perch tournaments due to bad weather, we FINALLY got a nice day for one! I have to say I was expecting a much better turnout than the 6 teams that showed up to fish:(

Anyway, on to the report. As I said, it was nice today - too nice! I's been my experience that you need some chop on the water to get the perch to bite on this bay. There was a brief flurry of activity around 10AM while there was still a little overcast and a slight chop on the water. My dad and I landed 8 of our 10 weigh fish during that flurry, (biggest one was 13 inches.) After that, the bite just died for us and the rest of the field when the bay turned to glass. Fish on the graph the whole time, but they wouldn't bite, no matter what we tried. I had to head in a at 1PM to get ready for the weigh-in, just as a slight breeze started to blow. Several of the teams that didn't have their 10 fish limit at 1PM were able to fill it out in the last 15 to 30 minutes of the tournament, thanks to that little breeze! In the end 5 of the 6 teams weighed in limits. The average size of the fish was excellent, with many in the 11 to 13 inch range!

Scott Bordeau and Roy Clair took first place with 5 pounds 11 ounces for 10 perch. They also won the "Other Fish" bonus, ( a gift certificate to Bay View Bait,) for the largest fish other than a perch - a 15 ounce sucker.

My dad and I took 2nd place with 4 pounds, 12 ounces, and the Slivas took 3rd place with 4 pounds 11 ounces.

Thanks to everyone that took part and to Jim and Amy Schantz of the Shorewood Motel http://www.shorewoodmotel.com for letting us use their parking lot for the weigh in.