PDA

View Full Version : Big Chip report

walleyemaxx
05-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone,

Spent a few hours on the Big Chip yesterday. With air temps at 36 gegrees and high west winds and heavy clouds that snowed and rained most of the time, it was good to get out and look around. The water temps I saw were 44-46 degrees. The cold air temps and cloudy days of the last week have kept the water temps down. The Walleyes spawn will be slowed down and be spread over a longer time. Many Walleyes will probably be spawning yet on opening weekend.

The bigger Walleyes will have finished up, but then they will be on the mend for a couple of days. It still will be possible to catch them, but fishing for the smaller males will be more productive. Find them in the deeper area's next to spawning area's during the day. If a heavy wind blows onto the rocky spawning shoreline, the smaller males can be very shallow.

The bigger females will probably be found near deeper wood. I did see some weeds, but not a lot. The cloudy weather has slowed the weed growth, so I'll look for wood cover to find the bigger females that are looking for some forage.

I laid out a plan for opening day. It will include many different patterns to look for both the bigger Walleyes and the smaller males. The current water temps and weather will play a big part where I'll fish and the methods I'll use. That will mean moving a lot and fishing as quickly as I figure I should. Of course, the fishing pressure will determine a lot too.

Good luck to everyone for the opener.

Walleyemaxx