PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report for 5-8-2011

walleyemaxx
05-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I fished the east side on Sunday. It was slow again. Got my 2 Walleyes, but had to work for them. Caught some Northerns and perch in the process, so it was a fun day. Being mothers day, I left early to spend quality time wirh momma. Hope all you Moms out there had a wonderfull day!

There wasn't much boat traffic on Sunday as compared to Saturday, but still quite a few. I found the Walleyes deep in sunken wood. Not sunken bogs, but rather, logs and such scattered in 17-21 fow. I tried anchoring and jigging, but drifting with 1/8 ounce jigs with a drift sock out to slow my drift, was the ticket. For bait, I used every thing from plastics to live bait, and the only thing that would catch fish is the old standby, jig/minnow combination.

I talked to a lot of guys, at the boat landings and at a gas station and else where. The constant theme was the same, slow, slow, slow. The water temps on Sunday started out in the A.M at 47 degrees, but warmed up to 51 degrees by late afternoon. By all accounts, the Walleyes are just finishing up with the spawn and are in the immediate post spawn mood. One guy told me that he caught a small male still milking. By next weekend the Walleyes should start to put on the old proverbial feedbag and be chowing down at a more consistent rate.

To sum up the weekend, on the west side on Saturday, I caught Walleyes in the weeds on shallower structure and nothing deep. On Sunday, on the east side, I caught Walleyes only in the deep water relating to wood. The only bait presentation that worked was a minnow on a jig. Saturday anchored and jigging the weeds, and Sunday drifting with heavier jigs thru the scattered wood, and oh yea, bring lots of jigs. The weather Sunday was mostly cloudy with a brisk S.W. wind. Air temps were in the 60's most of the day, and the sun did shine enough to give me one hell of a sunburn. I am a redneck now. OUCH! Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx