PDA

View Full Version : THe usual question for island campers

Lips
06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Of course I'm asking about wood. We are coming up in a few weeks. Is there still a good supply of down timber that we can take an ax or bow saw to, or will we need to stop and buy from nearby? We will put in at Springstead. Thanks in advance for any help.

dinged prop
06-29-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm heading up there too. If we can't hear from any campers let's hear from some of you lucky few who are up there all the time like Don or Blue, what does it look like as far as downed wood around the camp sites when you are fishing around them

BlueRanger
06-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Just to clarify, I'm up there frequently, but not all the time. I really haven't paid much attention to the wood supply in the campsites, but obviously it will vary as not all of them were affected to the same extent. Just in case anybody has any thoughts, the DNR has pointed out that the management plan generally calls for letting nature take its course in the event of natural disasters, so roaming around collecting firewood in areas away from the campsites may get you in trouble.

Larrynrita
06-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Depends on where you camp. Some campsites have enough wood to heat a house for the winter, others not much. In the Springstead landing area there's plenty of wood at all of them. Bring a bow saw, there's lots of tops down to cut up campfire sized wood, it's a lot easier than using an axe. A lot of campsites have wood cut, but the chunks make better seats around the fire than for burning! Have fun!

muskeye
06-30-2011, 08:08 AM
According to the brochures and dnr website they seemed to have conflicting rules on taking firewood from what I read but I could be wrong. One said taking dead/down timber is ok but the other said storm damge wood cannot be taken from islands that were affected by "The Storm". Anybody else see it how I did or did I misunderstand it?

Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC
06-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Storm damage timber may not be harvested and taken off the islands. You can cut it up (NO CHAINSAWS) and use it on the islands. As of last weekend, there was a good supply of cut firewood at the sites on Long Island. There is a thread below from sometime in May that tells where firewood may be purchased. On the Hwy FF/F side going to Sportsmens Landing it can be purchased at Midway Bar and Dear Lodge.

Have a fun and safe 4th of July weekend!

Tom502
06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Lips,

There is great deal of downed wood near Springstead landing. Make sure to bring a bow saw along and you will have no problems getting wood for use on the islands.

Tight Lines,

Tom502

Lips
06-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks, everyone!