PDA

View Full Version : Ford River Can

Swamp Rat
07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Anyone have any luck out by the can yet? Have the itch to get out and hopefully catch some of those salmon this yr. Thanks!

DooFighter
07-08-2011, 08:14 AM
I wish there was better news. Most I'm hearing talk are saying they're just late because of our cool spring. I'm more pessimistic, there are fewer fish out there which means fewer fish in the cooler on the way in. The good news is they're a little bigger this year, teenagers the norm and fish over 20 coming in with some regularity. I think limit catches will be few and far between this year, though.

I hope I am wrong and we are hammering them in the weeks to come, but it doesn't look good IMO.

The Bait Shop Guy
07-08-2011, 09:41 AM
A friend of mine had 2 releases Thursday morning while fishing between the can and Portage. Heard of one caught and two lost from last weekend down that way. I'll be checking it out tonight. Will let you know how we do.

DooFighter
07-08-2011, 12:23 PM
SwampRat, I should have clarified, the reports I've been hear/reading are from Lake MI in general and some more local to Fairport, Manistique, Washington Island, etc. As for Ford R and Cedar R, everything I've heard so far is nothing's going on.

Swamp Rat
07-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks 4 the reports. Hopefully they will pick up soon.

The Bait Shop Guy
07-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Nothing much to report from last night. Did find 55 degree water 65 feet down. Marked a fair amount of bait, especially along the breakline just North of the can. We had a shaker on briefly, just south of Portage Point.

RudyG
07-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Son home from Army.. tried to find some Silver for him but instead it was 4 hours of washing spoons again this AM. From portage to south of The Can, 75 to 120 FOW.. most bait was 85-90. Some nice arches... but no hits. Again :-(

Really getting discouraged out there.

DooFighter
07-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Rudy, ditto that. We fished N and S of portage a ways, both banks, nada. Even pulled everything up and ran in to 40-50 fow to no avail. There's no fish out there. I'm now convinced, whatever those marks on the sonar are I do not know, but they are not salmon. Probably whitefish. This sucks.

camo
07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Fished tonight from the harbor to about a mile south of portage and back to the harbor and not even a release. washed spoons, flashers and flies and a couple of plugs. Didn't mark much of anything either but it was a nice not on the water.