PDA

View Full Version : great weather but late turnover?

oct.fisherman
10-08-2011, 06:00 AM
Looks like everyone up there are having beautiful weather. But honestly I'm hoping for some nasty cold weather sometime soon. I'm coming up the last week of Oct., and want that water to turnover before I get there.
It seems every three-five years I need to schedule my Late trip to the Flowage a week later to avoid the turnover. I remember just 10 years ago, I think my late trip was scheduled for the second week of Oct., and I avoided turnover.

What are the water temps? Any brave predictions on turnover or "the bad fishing week phenomenon"

David

BlueRanger
10-08-2011, 11:22 AM
There's a good chance turnover began last week. That's several weeks earlier than normal, but I was reading surface temperatures as low as 50 degrees some days and we had a couple days of ferocious wind. The lake monitoring data showed bottom temperature at 52 degrees in mid-August, so unless it cooled considerably since then, I'd say the evidence suggests that the initial turnover has taken place. The water was certainly roiled up, but it's been that way since before Labor Day, so I don't know that the difference would have been noticeable. Unfortunately, I was using sideimaging on the few occasions when I happened to be in the basins, so I didn't notice whether there was still a thermocline.

oct.fisherman
10-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Cool. Sounds like a very slow event this year. Probably didn't effect fishing much or for the upcoming weeks with the sable weather. The night time temps and wind must be the only thing dropping the water temps.

Some years the "event" is so dramatic the fishing shuts down for about 4-7 days

David